Scabs on spine

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently took in my uncle’s cat for the foreseeable future. He’s a large tuxedo, around 6/7 years old I believe. I’ve noticed that he has little scans all over the base of his tail and up his spine. They stop several inches before his neck. There aren’t any on his head, neck, or sides. Just his spine. I googled it and found that it’s most often caused by flea bites. But he doesn’t seem like he’s itchy, other than an occasional scratch here or there, the normal amount for a cat without fleas. He’s mostly black so it’s hard to search for fleas. There aren’t any that I can see in his white neck area.

Could there be another explanation? I’ve brushed him quite a bit (he loves it) and he has quite a bit of dandruff. Could it be dry skin? Just something he has? I’m going to do a more thorough search through his fur in the morning, and most likely buy flea medicine whether I find any or not, but I’m curious. I’ve never seen this happen on a cat before. My uncle said “he’s getting scabs again” so I’m wondering if it’s a condition that comes and goes? I obviously want him to be comfortable but not sure how I should treat him!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I copied this from a CatSite article;

General Suggestions for Preventing Skin Allergies and Disorders
Some cats are more prone than others to developing rashes and skin conditions. This is often related to allergies, stress, or both. Here are some general suggestions for helping these cats –
  • Vacuum regularly and throw away the bag immediately after. If fleas get into the house (on the dog, on your clothing), this will help you head the problem off before it starts. It also reduces dust and mites.
  • Brush Kitty on a regular basis. This lets you see any changes as they happen and prevents hair matts.
  • Feed a healthy food that has no coloring, filler or grain listed in the ingredients.
  • Provide a calm environment for Kitty. Added enrichment like a cat tree for climbing and jumping, a scratching post, hiding places, a soft bed, toys and people who play with Kitty all make Kitty’s life better – and yours too as a result.
Also these may help;

https://thecatsite.com/c/how-does-frontline-work-on-cats/

Cat Fleas – TheCatSite Articles

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Can you ask your uncle if these scabs do in fact come and go, and if they might coincide with seasonal changes? I was thinking it could be connected to colder weather where the air is less humid and dust tends to more easily collect in an enclosed, heated house. If that were the case a humidifier could help as well as some of the suggestions mentioned above. Maybe even an Omega-3 oil added to his food?

Also, check out this article on what is called miliary dermatits in case that should help you any in searching for a reason for the scabs.
Why Are There Scabs on Your Cat's Back? (kittentoob.com)

Two ways to check for fleas -
1.) A flea comb and a dish of soapy water. Take long strokes with the comb and dip it in the water - if there are any fleas in the comb you should find them drowning in the soapy water. Also, the water may look red-tinged - which is your cats blood from the fleas biting him as well as flea dirt (flea poop).
2.) Overnight, set out dishes of soapy water on the floor in places where you cat tends to hang out - with bright lights shining on the dishes. The light attracts the fleas to the water, where they will drown. In the morning, check the dishes to see if and how many fleas have been caught.

Last edited: