Scabs and Itching

courtarti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is having a serious problem with scabs and itching and we have tried brevecto and prednisone and atopica and antibiotics. Nothing is working. I live to far away from a actual dermatologist. About 4 hours away. Still trying to see if anything is possible. We had tried a food trial and now is eating royal canine rabbit protein food. Still not much improvement he is miserable and itchy
He has scabs around neck and down spine and a few small ones on top of his head.

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, welcome!

You might try store bought chamomile tea. (Garden grown is unsafe for cats).

The tea is anti fungal, anti bacterial, will help ease discomfort and is safe if he ingests it.

Brew some, cool it and dab it on.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not a vet but I would, if he was mine, I would put him on monthly Revolution. Not Revolution Plus, but the original Revolution. I have seen it do amazing things. Of course talk to your vet about this.
Also, since you are so far away from a dermatologist, your vet can consult with one or more on the Veterinary Information Network. VIN.
I would assume they have done skin scrapings and fungal cultures? Biopsy might be in order. Can also do a blood test to check for inhaled and environmental allergies.
When feeding the special novel protein diet ( like you are) it is important that you make sure he doesn’t get anything else but that food or it is pointless to feed it. If he is eating dry, try to switch him to canned as often the carbohydrates in the dry can cause problems for these cats.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another thing is that cats do better on Prednisolone instead of Prednisone.