Scabbing that doesn't go away?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SnazzyJazzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alrighty! It's been a while, but I'm back with some big updates this time.

We took Chipsy to the local vet today, not the one that amputated her ears. They immediately scheduled a surgery which we unfortunately couldn't do because of a sudden funeral that needed to be handled and such. My mom also had reservations, wanting to get the xray before anything.

Which we did today!
The local vet said that we could definitely assume that she has a Squamus cell carcinoma, but it doesn't necessarily have to be one.

She took a good look at everything and said that the ear is definitely infected, so it could be that, though we doubt it and I'm pretty sure she did too, since she did warn us thoroughly about it.

We did an x-ray which didn't show any direct tumors in the lungs-looking pretty good as she said, but not perfect. She couldn't 100% diagnose a tumor but she couldn't rule it out, since there were some small tiny white spots (which she said could be lung worms?) and some blurry things that she isn't sure about. Apparently chipsy's heart shows up as blurry too, which is sort of weird. She also has a wall in her digestive track that the vet thought was rather unusual.

Chipsy has been prescribed antibiotics now, and we're going back to the vet next week to check up on the swelling of the ears and her gums (she has swollen guns and Tartar on some of her back molars and I may have misunderstood but I thought I heard the vet murmur about missing teeth.) she said they might also help with her sneezing problem - she might have something similar to a cold, though that also has been going on for a long time, not sure about that.

But it seems like there's still hope! We'll see how to continue about this when Monday rolls around, judging on what the antibiotics did and such, so I'll hopefully return with another update then.

Thank you for your patience and all the helpful comments! I really appreciate it.

Here's another recent little photo that my angel kindly posed for ♡
Screenshot_20230306_181749_edit_108619026380820.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing a wonderful job trying to get to the bottom of this. Take this one step at a time and keep us posted. It is not only that we want to know that happens, but others reading threads like this often appreciate follow up as it might apply to their own situations.

Lungworm Infection in Cats - Cat Owners - Merck Veterinary Manual
Lung worms can happen in cats; this article is recently updated. They can be successfully treated.

SnazzyJazzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awe, thank you so much!
And yeah, I definitely will.
The vet hasn't addressed the lung worms yet, as she only suspects them and isn't sure if it really is that or if it's something to do with the carcinoma :')

Chipsy isn't taking the antibiotics well though, she despises them so badly hahhh

But it does seem like it's already helping a bit with the infection, so at least that's good! I'm looking forward to the appointment next Monday to see how to continue. Will toss in an update then!

SnazzyJazzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright uh, I know I'm like super late to update but it wasn't exactly a big conclusion that was made last monday.

The vet looked at her ear again and said it looks better, which it does, the swelling had gone down but it's recently gotten worse again?

She also didn't do anything about the lung x-ray, so I'm a little confused about that as well. Told us that she should take the antibiotics for another week and to come back Monday... I hope that we'll get more information by then cuz this has been going on for a while and my mom is starting to get annoyed about having to visit the vet so often.

I do have to say that the antibiotics have been getting her to be more lively, so I'm glad about that, at least! I really hope this won't go on for much longer though :[

Also, chipsy has started to like. Twitch as well, a bit? Usually when she's being pet, her paw or head will twitch so I'm a little concerned about that, that's also been, picking back up.
Sighhhhhhh
I really wish I could've given a better update but 💔

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Are you going to do the surgery? I apologize if I am misreading the timeline here or if you have changed your mind.

The antibiotics are working, so that is a good sign. I would keep the Monday appointment and have a list of all the unanswered questions you have. If you receive vague answers, try to push for more information.