Scabbed Skin

flafred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted Fred from a local humane society. I noticed he had a bald spot on his back right before where his tail starts. When i took him to the vet for a check up they let me know that he had an allergy and to treat it with Atopica to stop him from itching the area and to allow the fur to regrow. Although giving a 20lb cat an oral medication was the biggest pain ever, I did it, and Fred stopped itching and the fur regrew. But now I notice a bunch of little scabs in the same area. They are randomly disbursed. I don't notice him itching the area, and when I went to look at the scabs he didn't flinch, so it much not hurt. I also notice little sesame seed looking things on my bed where he sleeps. I think they are coming from that area. Any idea of what this could be? I haven't taken him to the vet for it because it doesn't seem to be causing him any pain. But I can't help but notice it when I pet him.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has he been treated for fleas recently? If not, he probably needs it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flafred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He hasn't been treated recently. But wouldn't he be itching his back if fleas were the issue?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm just wondering if you're seeing flea dirt. The way to tell is to put the "black spots" in a drop of water. If you see some red, that' s from fleas. And that would explain the allergy spot, too.

flafred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just tried that, no red. And I remember when I took him to the vet the vet said "Fred cleans him self so well he'd never let a flea on him." Should I just take him to the vet? Idk what to do....

flafred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, Fred's vet is in Florida. We're currently up in New Jersey visiting my parents for a month. Is the petsmart vet a good/inexpensive place to take him?

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, Fred's vet is in Florida. We're currently up in New Jersey visiting my parents for a month. Is the petsmart vet a good/inexpensive place to take him?
I don't know much about Banfield (the vet inside Petsmart). From what I can tell they do a good job. If this really concerns you, go ahead and take him in. I was wondering about the fleas as well. Since he's out of his own environment, is it possible there is something in your parent's home he may be sensitive to? Just musing.

yume

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FLAFred,

I am 99% certain I know what the culprit is here, and it is indeed fleas.  The sesame seed looking things you are seeing in his bed are more than likely tape worm segments.  Cats get tapeworms from ingesting fleas.  All three of my cats have had tapeworms (and had to be treated for fleas) at some point, so I am very familiar with what tape worms look like.  You need to ask your vet (or any vet really)  for tapeworm treatment (it is a single dose and it is inexpensive), and you need to treat Fred for fleas whether you think he has them or not!  It is important to do a monthly flea regime for all pets just to be safe.  I recommend Revolution as it also prevents heartworms in the process.  You can take Fred to a vet to double check what I've said, but a quick google search on tape worms will save you some time and money. Of course, you could have him tested just to be sure.