Scab, scratch, thingy

mrs dolbear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok we adopted an 8 year old cat on 14th Feb. Roughly a week or so after he developed little scabs around the back of his neck and throat, we are pretty sure these are from general Scratching and most have healed up and the scabs have come off.
One of them seems to be getting worse, he must be Scratching this area again and again. We had him booked in for a check up at the vets last Friday but couldn't get him into his carier (stubborn so and so), so we rebooked for this Friday and to have his claws trimmed on the same visit, last week this scab ok and getting smaller but over the past few days its gotten bigger and is frequently open. I'm starting to become concerned he'll get an infection.
We are rebooking him into the vets but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions or tips to get him to leave it alone?
I was looking for how to get him in his carier when I came across this website, so now I've got some better tips than put treats in the back and let him walk in, or pick him up and plonk him in (Not a fan of being picked up).

The picture looks worse than it is, I think due to the flash on my phone camera its not actually yellow but weeping clear stuff.
Thanks in advance for any help.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Ouch, that looks painful. :( I think they only think you could do for sure would put an e-collar on. It would probably help to make sure his claws are clipped short to minimize the damage.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a food and/or litter allergy.  Working on one or both of those might eliminate the problem.  He needs to get to the vet soon just to make sure that it's not infected.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrs dolbear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm gonna try an e collar and trimming his claws and calling vets in the morning when they open. We are gonna mention food and litter to the vet anyway and see what they say. Xxx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrs dolbear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All, just a quick update, the vet said it is a hotspot and gave him an antibiotic Jab and a steroid Jab, and antibiotic tablets and steroid tablets and cream to administer at home, she also cut his claws to help prevent him taking the scab off.
Vets appointment was 24 hours ago and it's already healing up nicely.
We managed to get him in the carrier fine, we've been feeding him in there before and are continuing to do so, and are leaving it in the lounge for him to get used to it.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you're seeing improvement already.  Hope this does the trick!