Scab on my kitty

StarkRavenMad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 14yr cat named Scooby. About a week and a half ago I noticed what I thought was a sore on the side of my kitty’s face. Upon closer inspection, it wasn’t bleeding, oozing or smelly. So it was more scab like. Of course I freaked out and automatically thought, cancer. I called my vet and got an appointment for Monday morning, it was Friday morning when I made the appointment.

Over the weekend, I keep an eye on it as well as take pictures. It still doesn’t bleed or ooze which is good and keeping a better eye on him, it doesn’t seem to bother him. On the contrary, he doesn’t seem to notice it’s there. To this day, he isn’t messing with it. Doesn’t seem to cause him any discomfort which if true, is surprising because it looks terrible. He doesn’t scratch at it and even if I’ve touched it, he doesn’t recoil in pain.

First vet visit they do a physical evaluation, bloodwork, urinalysis and felv test. Besides him having a grade 4 heart murmur, which I knew of before, he’s pretty healthy for being 14. And tested negative for felv. The vet couldn’t tell me what it was other than it wasn’t cancer. She said keep an eye on it and sent us on our way. Well, studying it later that night (the appt was at 8am) and looking at the pictures I’d taken I noticed it had gotten bigger from the time I first noticed it. I sent the pictures to the vet and they had me bring Scoobs in the next morning for a shot of antibiotics that would last 2 weeks. Great, fantastic! But it continued to grow.

So after a few days, seeing it is growing, I decided to take him to get a second opinion. Couple reasons, I was not happy the original vet office did not examine him in front of me, thanks COVID. They didn’t give me any answer at all, not even a guess, as to what it was other than it’s not cancer. And lastly, they didn’t give him anything until I called the next day and sent the pictures.

So a week and 2 days after all this started I bring him in for a second opinion. Again I am reassured it’s not cancer (phew). And this vet guesses maybe he got burned or bitten by a spider. I say bitten by a spider is probably most likely. But again, those are guesses and still no definitive answer. She actually seemed to be pretty perplexed herself about the scaliness of it. (This vet did examine him in front of me). She said it’s one giant scab that should eventually fall off.

I’m wondering if anyone out there has seen anything like this before. It seems to still be getting bigger. He’s still within the two weeks for the antibiotic shot, so I just don’t understand how or why it’s still getting bigger.

Some background on Scooby. Again he is 14, I’ve had him since the moment he was born and he is neutered. I do have 2 other cats and they all get along ok. He is primarily an inside cat but I do allow them to go outside in my small fenced in backyard when it’s nice out but it is winter at the moment and they’ve only been let out maybe once or twice the passes few months just so they can experience the snow. It’s only patio, brick and rocks, there’s no actual grass if that even matters. And my other two are perfectly fine.

I would appreciate any feedback. Anything additional I can do. Anything.

I am attaching the pictures to where the first is when I originally spotted it and the last is from tonight.
F8115A05-8B56-490B-A0F5-8D18FFF0CA9E.jpeg
5FD15CAC-AA28-41F5-8BA6-AC24A5078635.jpeg
156E119D-48A2-469D-B127-DF8AE8130063.jpeg
2CA93963-B150-4A32-8531-7AB77288CCA0.jpeg
D13AB7DF-72D7-4F3C-9506-E84E40890BFF.jpeg
1FF495C1-9937-4819-B1F1-665B58B2253B.jpeg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks awful, I am not sure what that could be but seems like you need a better Dvm to figure this out. When my Angie developed severe anemia she had at least one sore like that and I thought it was from giving her fluid but it turned out it was due to the anemia. I hope he gets better soon. Maybe try some ointment on it. It could be systemic disease, diabetes, autoimmune disease, parasites or many other things.
I would think they would at least take a scraping of it to try and figure out if it’s a fungus or something like that.

I just reread what you wrote and I realize he was given a shot of convenia. That is what caused severe anemia in Angie and she died nine days after that. She however did not have any sores on her until after the injection etc. I hope your guy makes it through this OK. 💕

Common Causes of Scabs on Your Cat's Body

Autoimmune Skin Disease In Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals

Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex | International Cat Care

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

StarkRavenMad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for taking the time to read and reply! I was also surprised that neither took a culture of it. I told myself if it was really troubling they would’ve? But I should’ve pushed more.

The second vet said that we could, if I wanted, put him under and remove it. But with his grade 4 heart murmur, that really makes me nervous. But if it keeps growing, I don’t think I will have a choice.

I just hate not having a definitive answer. I lost his brother 2 years ago and I watched them both being born. I’m not ready for him to go.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am also surprised that no one is reacting a little more to this. The fact that a culture, scraping, or biopsy is up to you seems odd, given you are paying these vets to figure out what to do. I agree that seeking out a veterinary dermatologist is a good idea. Given that your boy has a grade 4 heart murmur, I am a little surprised that they were willing to suggest surgical removal as a first step, and not some sort of analysis of the lesion. Even if this is not cancer, which I am glad that it is not, the fact that it potentially will keep spreading is not really a solution. At the least, I would try to get someone to do a culture. If they say removal or nothing, I would push for the culture anyway given his other health conditions. They may be thinking that either way he has to be sedated, but you could also question that.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, it's NOT a spider bite!

Spider bites are very rare. Most spider fangs are not even capable of piercing the skin of a human or a cat. There are only a few that can. Almost all of them will run away from anything larger than themselves and, of those that do bite, you would have to physically threaten it in order to make it bite. This includes the Black Widow, the Brown Recluse and other things like the Hobo Spider or the Wolf Spider.

If it was a real spider bite, it would have to be something like a tarantula! If it was a tarantula, you would know it! Your cat would be screaming in pain!

You don't have tarantulas where you live, do you?

If a doctor tries to tell you that you have a spider bite and you don't have first-hand knowledge of being bitten by a spider, call "Bull$hit!"

Your second question: "Is the scab growing?"

It's hard to tell from your pictures. The pics are good enough quality but it's hard to deduce size and scale from just an impromptu photo.

I suggest getting a piece of stiff paper or an old playing card and carefully cutting a hole the same size as the sore on your cat's head. Then, every day when you want to check up on your cat or when you want to take a photo, place the card over the spot and line up the hole. A hole in a card won't change size but your cat's boo-boo will. It will be easy to compare and you'll know instantly whether it's getting better or not.

Finally, what do I think it is?

I don't know for sure but I know it's not from a spider and I don't think it's an infection or an abscess.

It looks like a scab from some kind of injury or bump. Your cat may have been scratching at it or irritating it while grooming. To be honest, it looks like it might be healing, to me. Don't know for sure. Just my hunch.

Cats often get bumps and dings from crawling under and around things. It's not uncommon for them to get sores like that when they accidentally bump into the underside of a bed or a sofa or something similar.

We found a sore, similar to your cat's on Casper's back. We figured that he probably got it when he crawled under the bed.
That's Casper's hiding spot and we leave him to his own devices when he goes under there unless we need to get him. Otherwise, he comes and goes as he pleases.

We looked under the bed in the area where Casper goes in and out of his hidey hole and we found a metal rail with a sharp edge.
We figure he bumped himself when he was under the bed.

We cleaned Casper's boo-boo with a clean cloth and some warm water. We trimmed the fur back just a bit so it wouldn't get matted then we put a dab of Neosporin on it. A few days later, it started to heal. We kept it clean and, a while later, his sore healed up and was gone.

I suggest that you look around your house in the places where your cat hides and see if there is any evidence of him bumping into something. You might find a bit of fur or even blood. Even if you don't, you'll find out if there are any places where your cat can get injured again and do something about it.

We wrapped a couple of layers of duct tape around the spot where we think Casper got hurt, under the bed, and we haven't had any more repeat incidents.

I'm glad you are going to the vet because they should be the experts but, to be honest, I think it's more likely that your cat just got a bump on the noggin, somehow. ;)

StarkRavenMad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE!! New pic attached

So no, haven’t figured what it is yet but more steps have been taken...

We went back to the (second) vet yesterday at their request to have another doc take a look. Two more vets looked at him when we were there and they too were stumped. I could hear them through the door saying how odd it was and that they’ve never seen anything like it before.

At this point, it is now too big to surgically remove (even if I wanted to) because there wouldn’t be enough skin to pull together without deforming his cute little face.

She ended up being able to get some off to see what was going on underneath and to send off for biopsy. What you see in the first pic right after removal and the second is about 24 hours later. No blood or puss and no smell. No punctures or teeth marks. The scab was THICK. The vet described it as “tree bark “. We’ve also started him on an anti fungal ointment, the third pic is after the first application. Not guaranteeing it will do anything but it won’t hurt. That wasn’t started until today so no change yet but I added a pic anyway cause I’m that cat mom.

Oh and as for what I think it is...I have no clue. I’ve researched everything from diabetes to the plague and I couldn’t find anything that looked remotely similar. I thought spider bite was plausible only because it was getting bigger but it doesn’t look like any spider bite I could find. My boss, an eye doctor, said fungus could be the likely culprit. It just needs to stop getting bigger! I feel like we’re in a bit of a crunch for time as it gets closer and closer to his eye.

He still doesn’t seem to be bothered by it and he’s not messing with it even though part of the scab has been removed. Fingers crossed they will find something in the biopsy that can be treated! I should hear something by Monday or Tuesday and I will keep everyone updated!

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read my thread and responded. It really means a lot and I have looked into every link you guys have shared!
B50C7894-BFD0-45D4-845B-5D61725B4A10.jpeg
5AA89B4B-23D8-414B-BF89-39F7AFD151FC.jpeg
C8DECF3D-89B2-4F12-9614-813802810C50.jpeg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After reading your update and seeing your new pictures, I'm in agreement with your vets.

I think it might be some kind of fungal infection.
I also think your vet's course of action is a good one.

Mind you, I'm just playing "armchair doctor!"
I'm not a doctor but I'm a voracious reader and it's not in my nature to just sit idly by. I have to try to figure things out or else my head will explode. ;) ;) ;)

I'm just trying to be supportive. Okay? ;)

If you want to do some reading, there's a really good website:

Just be super duper careful as you read. This website is meant for doctors and other professionals. It's NOT designed for laymen!
Go ahead and study but just keep in mind that it's really, really easy to get "Google-itis!"

Google-itis is when you read about some medical condition by searching the internet then you start to think you've got every disease under the sun.

Just keep your "academic hat" tied on, tight and, if you find something interesting, ask your doctor or vet.
It's good to be a participant in your cat's health care but don't try to overrule your vet because of something you read on the internet.
Your vet had to go through several years of veterinary school, take multiple exams and certifications and probably had to do several more years as a resident or apprentice before he/she could practice. You and I are just "smart people" who like to read about taking care of our pets.

With all that being said, I'm hopeful that, with your last vet visit and updates, your cat has turned the corner and, with a little luck and perseverance, he'll be right as rain in no time. :)

Sending vibes! :vibes:

Casper says, "Meow!" :whitecat:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am worried the convenia could be making it worse- that has been one of the terrible side effects it has caused in cats who were given it for a skin condition.
Clearly the dvm here did not initially do their job imo, they brushed it off until you insisted they do more, they did not culture it right away etc. and gave convenia for something that was undiagnosed- it is only approved for skin infections as far as I recall.
Anyway, I’m glad they have cultured it now. I hope the culture comes back soon and someone figures out something that can help 💕 I would add a probiotic in, one woman years ago saved her cat’s life with high doses of probiotics after he had a severe convenia reaction.

Read all you can, inform yourself, unfortunately years of training does not ensure a correct diagnosis and proper treatment or even competency. I have learned that the hard way many times.

I forgot to add in here how long did he have the sore/ scab for? As I recall, maybe it happened over a relatively short period? That may help figure out what the cause is. It does look like it is healing a little in the white/ pink area under where they removed it at least which is good.

Last edited:

StarkRavenMad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All of your good vibes seem to have paid off. It’s finally healing!! Yay!!

The biopsy results came back...and showed nothing. No cancer, no infection, no fungus, no parasites. Which is good but still, what the heck happened to my cat 🤷🏻‍♀️. The vet is still stumped. Whatever it was, I’m thankful that he seems to be on the mend and I’m thankful for all of you who responded! I will say I was pretty scared there for awhile though. We’re going to keep using the ointment twice a day and the extra love every day for forever lol.

He’s still not bothered by it and we’ve re-bonded these past several weeks which is wonderful.
image.jpg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of your good vibes seem to have paid off. It’s finally healing!! Yay!!

The biopsy results came back...and showed nothing. No cancer, no infection, no fungus, no parasites. Which is good but still, what the heck happened to my cat 🤷🏻‍♀️. The vet is still stumped. Whatever it was, I’m thankful that he seems to be on the mend and I’m thankful for all of you who responded! I will say I was pretty scared there for awhile though. We’re going to keep using the ointment twice a day and the extra love every day for forever lol.

He’s still not bothered by it and we’ve re-bonded these past several weeks which is wonderful.View attachment 410605
I am so relieved he is ok. I wish they could figure out what caused it. Hugs❤

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We'll never know...and it will come back to haunt me at odd moments, possibly for years! However, "he's recovering" is the bottom line, and I saw hair regrowing!!!