Say your top 3 Dry or wet cat food brands can be local

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What does everyone think of Nutro Perfect portions? Psycho loves them. Would you consider it good food? He will eat Koha Kangaroo and Venison too but I like to change it up.

skigrladks99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone used the ultra limited brand from pet valu? How about the earthborn primative feline? I currently feed my kitty Purina proplan but am looking for a healthier dry cat food.

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pro Plan is an oddball line of products, in my opinion. Some of their forumulas do not appeal to me because of corn, wheat and soy content.  On the other hand, I think the Pro Plan True Nature line of classic pates is very good.  In the time since I brought my cat home for the first time we've switched foods to mostly avoid corn, wheat and soy.

mjfromga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oreo got a wet hot spot with regular 9 lives dry food. I pick up whatever is on sale that doesn't have soy, corn, or wheat. I don't bother with grain free, just no soy. Same goes with canned. He loves the 9 lives tuna and egg, but someone said that's bad for him so I rarely get it. He also gets lots of chicken and other whole meats. I've found that he prefers them raw, so I just chuck it to him. He's around 7 months old and about 10 1/2 lbs.

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are a couple of 9 Lives wet recipes that I keep two cans of in for " emergencies" to mix with something else she might not like.  She would devour nothing but 9 Lives if I let her.  When she turns her nose up at the pricey brands I've brought home, I mix the pricey stuff with a 9 Lives pate and BAM, she jumps on it.  For no corn, no wheat, no soy stick to the Meaty Pate formulas from 9 Lives.  The morsels and shredded stuff is full of carbohydrates.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have always bought Nutro MAX CAT and natural formulas in various wet formulas and the dry chicken and salmon varieties.  I don't think it's bad.  It's not grain free, but it's not junk food.  

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A few weeks ago I purchased Max Cat wet chicken recipe and Nutro dry (Indoor Adult) chicken.  Reasonably priced and no corn, soy or wheat.  Read the labels carefully because the dry recipe does include oat fiber.  But oat grain does not bother me, anyway.

Haven't open either yet because we've got a solid supply of food at present.   Purchased the Nutro stuff because of the very good price.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you!  Yes, I agree, it is quality food.  And oats does not bother me.  In their natural state, cats eat whole prey, which is mostly small rodents -- whose diet is mainly grains. 

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dry- Canidae Pure Elements Chicken L.I.D. (grain-free all life stages) and previously was on Whole Earth Farms grain-free kitten formula but that's it so far and she loves them both

Wet-Nutro chicken kitten formula, Soulistic Good Karma chicken, Merrick Puurfect Bistro trays in chicken and beef flavors.  I try to incorporate other flavors and brands but she's picky and these are her tops so far

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Dry- Merrick kitten, and nature's instinct chicken (new and she seems to LOVE it)

Wet-Nutro chicken kitten formula,  She also does fairly well with most canned foods from Fromm, and I am experimenting with cooked (U-stew).

I may try some of the fancy feast classics, and a couple of the other cheaper but still decent canned, but, really, she just doesn't like wet food very much.