Say that was my couch.....

scwinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a problem with my 2 year old tabby recently adopted from the SPCA. Topaz only likes ruining my furniture by scratching up my leather couches. I have 3 scratch posts in a very small apartment. I have sprayed each one with cat nip spray, and sprayed the couches with cat repellent, all to no avail.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!  I love Topaz dearly and don't ever want to declaw him but I have to replace my couches and do not want the same fate to happen to them.

Any suggestions?????

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please do not declaw him. There are things you can do to train him. If you declaw, you may end up with a different set of behavioral problems.

Have you tried putting double-sided sticky tape on the areas where he's scratching? Have you tried putting the scratching posts next to those areas? Have you tried redirecting him to the scratching posts when you catch him? Have you trimmed his claws to limit damage?

I'm sure others will be along to offer help, but it would be useful to know what you have tried so far.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have much time right now to elaborate, but check out the links in my signature. . .there are some good suggestions there :).

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi :wavey:

I had the same issue....

I put 2 of these - one on each side of the couch, right in front of it:

SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post - they are very high, so the kitty can stretch fully while scratching. They took a while to use it - several weeks, but now they use it religiously.

Meanwhile, I also used these: Sticky Paws Extra Large Sheets

These are dual sided adhesive sheets - I placed them on the corners of the sofa and the arms. They are transparent and not too ugly..... Used it for a while just for the cats to learn to not scratch the couch.... Worked really well..... I removed them and they are still scratching the post instead of the sofa :bigthumb:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scwinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My couches are completely ruined.

I have tried scolding him, the water spray trick, getting excellent scratch posts, and cat repellent spray.

All to no avail.

I will try the adhesive next.

scwinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried a ton of double sided adhesive. He found any area without it and tore the leather to shreds. I just cut his claws too. (Again!)

I have to get the cat declawed. What is the most humaine way to go about it.

heyitsfae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

There really isn't anything humane about declawing a cat. My girl, Artemis loved to scratch on the door frames in my apartment so I got her the little vinyl caps that go on claws and now she can scratch away and it doesn't do any damage. =)

I don't know if you've tried them or not but it might be worth a shot if you haven't already tried them. Soft Paws is on of the companies that makes them but you can also get something similar at Pet Smart. They're called Kitty Caps at Pet Smart.

They worked really well for me, hopefully they might help you out too because declawing is never a good answer. It always causes your cat a lot of pain and also can dramatically change their personality.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait a minute - you tried the double sided adhesive for 7 hours and you are on the door for a declaw? Come on now..... Give this a chance!
Yes... he found a place to scratch..... Cover that place! Put more tape! Get the sheets I told you.
Get soft paws...... Where are the scratching posts? Are they right in front of the couch?

You can't try something for a few hours and just give up..... it doesn't work like that with cats..... :dk:

There is NOTHING humane about amputating a cat's fingers to the first joint - that is what declawing is.

scwinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I entertain a lot for business, I am on blood thinners and I have diabetes. That is why it is so important.

BUT I found a new way to solve the problem! There is a surgery called a tendonectomy. It is minimally invasive. The cat goes home the same day. All the surgery does is detach the tendon that allows them to stretch out their claws. The incision is tiny, and the cat isn't maimed in any way.

I didn't want to declaw him because that is mutilation, But this approach seems safe and sane.

BTW - Topaz loved the adhesive strips. He took delight in playing with the adhesive. As for soft claws ..... they are really difficult to put on.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Just a note that this site is extremely anti declaw:

4. This website is anti-declawing. Understand that if you are pro-declaw in your posts, you will encounter opposition. Please learn more about alternatives for declawing here in our forums as well as on our website itself.
No one is going to agree with your decision and honestly, a tendonectomy is no better than a declaw.

Please, please read the articles below and the links others have provided to you:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/why-cats-should-not-be-declawed
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/declawing-more-than-just-a-manicure
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/declawing-and-alternatives
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/a-personal-look-at-declawing
http://www.associationofanimalbehaviorprofessionals.com/scratching_the_surface.html

A note to our members: Please keep this discussion civil!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The AVMA has tendonectomy on their "not recommended" list, because of all the complications. The nails need constant tending since the cat can't tend to them himself, and can grow around into the paw if you forget to clip them, or, say, something happens to you and his new owners don't know what was done to his paws. Plus they can still scratch things after a tendonectomy, so most people who had it done are dissatisfied with the procedure.

Did you check out the links everyone posted?

I guess you could ask yourself what you would do if you lived in any other country besides the US or Canada. . .de-clawing is considered cruelty in almost every other country (so vets won't do it even if legal), and illegal in many. If people in England or Australia can manage without cutting their cat's toes off, you can too! :D

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know why people like you get cats. Sorry, but it's all I have to say after your response. I hope you rehome Topaz.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what the AVMA says about tendonectomy (copied and pasted from their website so the numbers are footnotes):

Tenectomy of the deep digital flexor tendon (DDFT) has reportedly been associated with shorter hospitalization, less pain, and the elimination of the need for postoperative bandaging.1,8,33,35 This procedure removes five to10mm sections of the DDFT of each digit, resulting in the cat's inability to protrude the claw.1,8,33 Because the claws cannot be protruded, they may overgrow; this can result in the return of a limited ability to scratch. The claws are often rough because the aged cuticle cannot be removed by scratching.1,8,33 In addition, overgrown claws may grow into footpads, causing pain and infection, if they are not regularly trimmed.1,8,33 Cats' claws must be trimmed regularly following tenectomy to avoid these problems.8,33

Pain levels were observed to be the same38 or higher for tenectomy compared to declawing. . .Dissatisfaction with tenectomy resulted from a continued ability of the cat to scratch following tenectomy, long-term lameness, excessively thick claws that appeared to irritate the cats, and difficulty in trimming the claws. Two tenectomized cats were later onychectomized. Although the initial manuscript describing the tenectomy technique reported no complications during the one- to five-year follow-up period for 17 tenectomized cats,33 more recent anecdotal reports have suggested that the forelimbs of tenectomized cats become stiff and appear painful several years after surgery.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not sure why you think soft paws are too difficult? It is my understanding you can even have them put on at the pet store or the vet if you really have a problem. The surgery you mention sounds like you will have to regularly attend the nails anyway. I understand it is difficult but I think you should give the soft paws a chance before you try surgery.

scwinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love my cat and in no way want to hurt him. The tenectomy sounds like it is as mutilating as declawing.

When I tried to put on soft claws I got bitten and Topaz wouldn't stay still, so I wound aup bleeding for 5 hours (I am on blood thinners) and very frustrated.

What I found out is that the vet can apply soft claws. Topaz doesn't like his paws touched, but the vet has no issue with that. It isn't expensive and can be done in 10 minutes.

So that is my solution. Soft claws professionally applied once every month or two and the problem will hopefully be solved.

I will keep you all posted.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my cat and in no way want to hurt him. The tenectomy sounds like it is as mutilating as declawing.

When I tried to put on soft claws I got bitten and Topaz wouldn't stay still, so I wound aup bleeding for 5 hours (I am on blood thinners) and very frustrated.

What I found out is that the vet can apply soft claws. Topaz doesn't like his paws touched, but the vet has no issue with that. It isn't expensive and can be done in 10 minutes.

So that is my solution. Soft claws professionally applied once every month or two and the problem will hopefully be solved.

I will keep you all posted.
Thank Goodness, and THANK YOU for reaching this decision. :rub:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great I am so glad you found that out! I understand you love your cat and didnt realize this surgery was bad too. People get very upset when any type of declawing is mentioned, so I hope you understand and stick with this site. There is usually some great information on here like how vets can put on soft paws!

scwinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am much happier this way too! Thanks for all the heelp and advice, at least I can sleep nights now!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great I am so glad you found that out! I understand you love your cat and didnt realize this surgery was bad too. People get very upset when any type of declawing is mentioned, so I hope you understand and stick with this site. There is usually some great information on here like how vets can put on soft paws!
:yeah:
I actually owe you an apology.... I have seen quite a few posts talking nonchalantly about declawing nowadays, and as I deal with some bad consequences from declawing with my cat here (he was already declawed when I rescued him) it hits home to me. Declawing is serious, and most of the times people don't realize the consequences of it.

I am so, so glad you decided to pursue something else.

Yes, please stick with us - TCS is really a GREAT community - I have made awesome friends here - online and offline :heart3:

Hope to see you around! Take care! :wavey:

Last edited: