Say no to vaccination??

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Yeah we have always needed the annual fecal, but their guidelines this year were insane.

I was thinking of starting to take Quincy now I have more time
you should its great! unless they do make you do the fecal each time :S that would just get costly and insane!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine are given kitten series then 1 yr later the boosters ... After that it is case by case ( also what my vet recommends)... I recommend finding out what local law( here the debate is already to move from a 3 to 4 yr protocal to a 5 or 7 yr) is and following that after discussing it with your vet...

For my area the only animal with rabies in 50 plus years is the bat .... For me a risk I was not willing to take so my indoor / outdoor cat has a rabies every 3 yrs ....

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats are all indoors. I feel that for indoor cats, their kitten shots (which they had) and a current rabies shot is enough. Outdoor cats would need more, of course, as would cats whose humans took in fosters and so on.

I wouldn't advise anyone to "just say no to vaccination." It's a situation that calls for risk-benefit analysis, not a quickie answer that closes down the thought processes.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

There are studies that show rabies antibodies up to ten years after a 1 year vaccine, yet public health will happily recommend euthanising any animal that has come into contact with a bat and aggressive animals without a rabies vaccine so I still like to ensure they have a vaccine.
I trust the studies, but I am not taking any chance of my cat being taken away, quarantined or euthanized so I am going to do purevax every year also...
I wish there was something we could do to change the policy, because it makes me very angry that I'm unnecessarily putting my animal at risk only because of a nonsense law..
The purevax vaccine is supposed to be approved for 3 years soon, I hope they get on with it quicker..