Say hi to Kikky!

kikkykak123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my cat is named Kikky and he is a rescue and I got him when he was 6 months from the humane society. He is black with a tannish grey marbled pattern on his flanks, he has normal tabby markings on his head, and his belly is tan with black or dark grey spots. He eats Meow Mix dry cat food right now but I heard it isn't good and I read the ingredients and I was like "omg" so now I am trying to convince my parents to get him wet cat food; is Blue Wilderness canned cat food good for cats? He has an automatic cleaning litterbox but he was scared of it so I removed the automatic scooper but the box is still there and his litter is clumping clay or silica. He is 3 years old right now and he is a little fat and it's probably because of his food. His favorite toys are hair bands, laser-pointers, stuff moving under blankets, and his catnip filled mouse on a fake fishing pole. He is very stand offish but it's weird because he will meow for petting and then run away or hide when you try to pet him and get mad because you didn't pet him. He hates my pet bunny because the bunny attacked him so I keep them separate. It is sad because my bunny lives in my room and Kikky refuses to go into my room without shivering, being rigid and tense, and having wide saucer eyes. What wet or dry cat foods do you recommend? I can't feed raw because my parents said that that's way too expensive but we will consider wet food. Also, does all wet cat food make cats gassy because last time my cat was fed wet food he was very gassy?:rbheart:

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi my cat is named Kikky and he is a rescue and I got him when he was 6 months from the humane society. He is black with a tannish grey marbled pattern on his flanks, he has normal tabby markings on his head, and his belly is tan with black or dark grey spots. He eats Meow Mix dry cat food right now but I heard it isn't good and I read the ingredients and I was like "omg" so now I am trying to convince my parents to get him wet cat food; is Blue Wilderness canned cat food good for cats? He has an automatic cleaning litterbox but he was scared of it so I removed the automatic scooper but the box is still there and his litter is clumping clay or silica. He is 3 years old right now and he is a little fat and it's probably because of his food. His favorite toys are hair bands, laser-pointers, stuff moving under blankets, and his catnip filled mouse on a fake fishing pole. He is very stand offish but it's weird because he will meow for petting and then run away or hide when you try to pet him and get mad because you didn't pet him. He hates my pet bunny because the bunny attacked him so I keep them separate. It is sad because my bunny lives in my room and Kikky refuses to go into my room without shivering, being rigid and tense, and having wide saucer eyes. What wet or dry cat foods do you recommend? I can't feed raw because my parents said that that's way too expensive but we will consider wet food. Also, does all wet cat food make cats gassy because last time my cat was fed wet food he was very gassy?
Hello & Welcome to TCS .. 

Kikky sounds like a lovely kitty ..  You are absolutely correct about the Meow Mix dry food .  It is not good .  It is full of added color and chemical preservatives .  I understand if cost is an issue so if you are looking for a better kibble try Purina One Smartblend , no added color or chemicals .  For a cheaper kibble it is much better than  Meow Mix .   Yes , Blue Buffalo is very good wet food .  You could also try Fancy Feast Classic or Friskies Pate , both affordable ..  As for the gas that will sometimes occur when a cat is fed a food that upsets the tummy .

pippapurring

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Kikky sounds like a cutie, you should post pictures sometime if you get a chance! :)  Sometimes for skittish cats the best thing you can do is not react too strongly when they approach you. The next time he seeks affection from you very gently acknowledge him and see if he'd prefer to sit or lay down before you try to pet him. Some cats prefer to be near people but not be too strongly cuddled or petted. As for the cat food blue buffalo is much better than meow mix, it's great that you've decided to upgrade the quality of his food! It will make him healthier overall and hopefully he'll lose a little weight. If his new food is making him gassy try slowly weaning him off his old food by mixing it in with his new food during feeding time. For example do 75% meow mix to 25% blue buffalo, and then increase the percentage of blue buffalo every day until you're feeding him 100% blue buffalo (or whatever new food you decide to go with) so his digestive system has time to adjust. Hope this helps! :) 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kikkykak123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Noooooo, my parents just told me they don't want to change his food. I tried to tell them why they should but they said he is happy so he doesn't need new food. Help!!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Noooooo, my parents just told me they don't want to change his food. I tried to tell them why they should but they said he is happy so he doesn't need new food. Help!!!

Hi and welcome! :wavey:

Why don't you start a thread in the Nutrition forum about the food situation? :)