Saw A Black Cat Hanging In My Patio Outside? Anything I should Do?

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed a black cat visit my patio recently. I live in a condo, so it's not really a backyard. He/she has visited a few times at night, but now she is visiting and staying outside every night. Last night she seemed to have slept in my outdoor chair from 10:00 PM to 7:00 AM.

Just today she already came here at 6:40 pm!

I would share the video of it caught on my security camera, but not sure how to share.

Anything you guys think I should do?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Welllll….it depends on what you want to do (and also what your condo lets you do!). For starters are you sure this is a stray/feral? Do others near you have cats? From the outset, without too much detail, it sounds as if this kitty is making small overtures for your attention and food!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would see if the cat is approachable, and two, if you can borrow a microchip reader from your vet. Depending on how you feel about the safety of this next thought (since you don't want to set him/her or yourself up for trouble from unsavory types), you could then/also try sharing on social media to see if s/he belongs to anyone in the near vicinity.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welllll….it depends on what you want to do (and also what your condo lets you do!). For starters are you sure this is a stray/feral? Do others near you have cats? From the outset, without too much detail, it sounds as if this kitty is making small overtures for your attention and food!
Condos wouldn't let me do anything, but pretty hard for them to find out. I have no idea. Today I tried to approach it, but he must have heard me, cause he ran away when I got close. I didn't see him. He just wasn't there anymore.

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would see if the cat is approachable, and two, if you can borrow a microchip reader from your vet. Depending on how you feel about the safety of this next thought (since you don't want to set him/her or yourself up for trouble from unsavory types), you could then/also try sharing on social media to see if s/he belongs to anyone in the near vicinity.
Doesn't seem to be, he ran away before I even saw him. Although my cameras show he got back to his seat a few minutes later.

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I couldn't see it on the video, so hard to tell.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can upload your video to the media section of the site...then share the link from there to a post.

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can upload your video to the media section of the site...then share the link from there to a post.

Okay here it is. The one in the light, is him leaving today in the morning. The other two is him leaving when he heard me approaching, and the other him coming back a few minutes later.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[/URL]

Okay here it is. The one in the light, is him leaving today in the morning. The other two is him leaving when he heard me approaching, and the other him coming back a few minutes later.
Awe, he/she doesn't appear to be injured or anything. I can't tell if there's a collar either. He likes that chair. Can you watch and see where he goes when he runs away? Or try to get him to come to you to see if he has any identification?

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awe, he/she doesn't appear to be injured or anything. I can't tell if there's a collar either. He likes that chair. Can you watch and see where he goes when he runs away? Or try to get him to come to you to see if he has any identification?
I live next to a small lake and forest so hard to tell. But I'm guessing there?

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called three of the nearest animal rescues/shelters. Sadly they seemed to be all booked. Suprising since I thought kitten season ended a while ago?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm don't know all the reasons why although increasing rents and the effects of inflation are impacting people and some are having to take their pets to the shelters, or they can't afford vet bills. It's a sad situation.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called three of the nearest animal rescues/shelters. Sadly they seemed to be all booked. Suprising since I thought kitten season ended a while ago?
I don't know where you live but the shelters here in Calgary are all over capacity. Also, if you find an animal, you have to take it to them, they won't usually come and get it. It doesn't look like a very old cat. It could just be lost. If it were me, I'd put out a homemade box of some sort and try to find out if it belongs to someone. I couldn't stand it just being "out there" but that's just me.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm don't know all the reasons why although increasing rents and the effects of inflation are impacting people and some are having to take their pets to the shelters, or they can't afford vet bills. It's a sad situation.
The shelter vet that was taking care of Ash told me that they are all very short staffed too. A lot of it is economy driven. It is a bad situation.

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know where you live but the shelters here in Calgary are all over capacity. Also, if you find an animal, you have to take it to them, they won't usually come and get it. It doesn't look like a very old cat. It could just be lost. If it were me, I'd put out a homemade box of some sort and try to find out if it belongs to someone. I couldn't stand it just being "out there" but that's just me.
Do you think the cat is cold? He seemed to have slept on my chair with no covering all right. Should I give him/her some food?

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So what do you think I should do here? Feed him/her?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's up to you. There's a commitment of your time, money, taking care of him if he gets sick, that sort of thing.
If you want to, you could take a look through the forum you posted in, there's a lot of good info about setting up an outside shelter and other information. It might help you make a decision :)