Saving Stray Kitten

Kittycuddler94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last night i rescued a very small kitten from outside at 1am.idk how old it is, but its eating wet food(mostly broth)
My questions are: can it drink cowsmilk & is it possible to return him to the mother after this long?and how can I tell how old it is? The mother is an unapproachable feral that lives nearby that I feed daily.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks for rescuing this kitten! :)

The kitten is probably about 6 weeks old. I would not return the kitten to its mom. The kitten would have no future.

Do not give the kitten cow's milk. Cats cannot digest the lactose in cow's milk and it can cause diarrhea.

Buy a can of powdered PetAg kitten formula at Walmart or a pet store and give this to the kitten to drink.

Do you have a litter box for the kitten?

Are you able to trap and spay mom so she is not sentenced to a life of back to back breeding?

Most Humane Societies spay ferals for free or extremely cheap.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with the above. Kitten 5-6 weeks. Dont return the kitten even if its probably possible. The best fate for the kitten is if it can by fostered and adopted. And fostering is easy at this young age... It goes on almost by itself... But later on after 8 weeks its more difficult.

Do know, the momma KNOWS her baby is OK, and she is contend with it. Welfare for her children is more important for her than "freedom". Look, it happens often ferale moms comes forward to humans they know are friendly, and leave them there....

Best is if you can foster and adopt yourself, but if you cannot, probably some shelter can do help with adopting out, IF the kitten is manageable. Not all shelters foster shy semiferale kittens.

I agree cow milk isnt to recommend. Some cats manage, but many not. But you can try with full fat plain yoghurt if in a pinch.

KMR as mentioned is best, goats milk is OK tough, and cheaper than KMR.

Kittycuddler94 Kittycuddler94