savannah tummy problems

sophiesavannah36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all I'm new here :)
ok where do I start.....when I bought my new feline she had an upset tummy the breeder we got here from said she must of eaten something that has not agreed with her. So we took a chance and brought her home... I remember waking up next morning to poop everywhere I was shocked as there were traces of blood and mucus I contacted my local vet so I took her in and we did a fecal sample. This came back with tritrichomonas and feline coronavirus and giardia. All I did was cry.. the vet told me she was on a fine line because she was very sick....we tried medication to treat it yes it helped but the diarrhea has never gone away...we did another sample after the medication had run its course and that came back negative for tritrichomonas. But was positive still for coronavirus and c.perfringens alpha toxin...they prescribed us ( metronidazole ) we could not get this down her :( even tried in chicken.... the diarrhea stopped for a while but now its come back and she poops everywhere its like she cant get to the toilet in time. I've picked her up and placed her in the litter but she jumps out and runs wild around the house.! this has been going on now for a couple of years... I don't know what else to do. my vet suggest trying the medication again.. ( metroniazole) Is there anyone that's has had the same problem.. I've been reading up on ( Nexabiotic ) for her.. but we have tried ( proplan fortiflora ) and ( pro-kolin ) these did not work. we are at the point of giving up.. :(:(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, until this gets sorted out, can you temporarily confine her to one room where if you can, you remove most everything and cover what's left with tarp and puppy pee pads (disposable or reusable)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiesavannah36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's already confined to 1 room and has the hall and bathroom to roam with my other 2 cats.. we have tried puppy pads but she plays with them. She's unreal 😂

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oops sorry for the double post --Have you tried a couple meals of boiled unseasoned chicken with a little boiled unseasoned white rice mixed in? Some vets prescribe that for unhappy tummys to try and calm things down.

sophiesavannah36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The breeder said this we tried 😭 she's a Savannah... She was ok for like a day then got worse...

sophiesavannah36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our vets are pretty decent we tried a few before we went back to ours. Here where we are small town so not many around unfortunately. She's booked in on the 26th of this month. I don't know if to try her on this nexabiotic

sophiesavannah36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will. I just wish I could click my fingers and she's all better 😂 but nope it's been horrible for the past 2 years on and off. Just hope I can get these meds down her

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Medication & Information for Animals

I am not sure if you are thinking of trying the metro again, but if you are you might try getting it from a compounding pharmacy who can possibly make it in a form that is more palatable.

Probiotics – IBDKitties

I am not suggesting that your cat has IBD; however, this page from the website contains some information about probiotics.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Metronidazole (aka Flagyl) is just nasty tasting to cats. The pill form isn't much better than the liquid but hiding the pill in a Pill Pocket or something may make it easier to give.

FortiFlora isn't the best probiotic to use. It's really only useful to get inappetant cats to eat because of the yummy taste. Any Human probiotic can be used and may be helpful although getting to the bottom of why your cat has tummy issues, even at the breeder's, is important. If your vet has no ideas, ask if she can consult with a veterinary school.

What is your cat's normal diet? Could it be a sensitivity to something in the food?