Savannah? Egyptian Mau? Or a very energetic gray tabby?

abbybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I recently adopted a rescue cat, who is estimated to be two years old. I realize she probably wasn't properly socialized and that these things take time, but I am having a hard time with her behaviour. I am following all the advice, including playing with her before bedtime and feeding her before going to bed, but she will not settle down - in fact last night she was flinging herself around the room so much that when she jumped up onto her cat tree, she overshot it and smashed into the window - this was after I played with her for half an hour. In the midst of my research I came across a couple of breeds that resemble not only her appearance, but her behaviour. So I'm curious to know what people who are more knowledgeable think. I would appreciate any opinions.

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten with similar patterns and the same behavior you are describing. But I got him very early. I was told he was 7 weeks old when i got him, but since he only weighted 9 ounces (even though he was malnourished) i doubt he was 7 weeks old. And now at almost 2 pounds his eyes are only now starting to change color. Anyways....he was very sick when i got him and was sick for a long time but now that is is okay i can't describe him but with a word Satan. He is not mean. He doesn't hate me. But he plays literally all the time, plays rough, wants to play with a human rather than with toys, bites and scratches and considers absolutely any movement a play. He loves to sleep with me and me only but ohhh we have battles before bed for hours sometimes because he wants to play, not sleep. I tried everything i could find to modify his behavior and i don't know what else to do....

Unlike your cat mine has a short tail and also his ears have a slight fold. I was told he was a mix of Scottish fold and Munchkin (the Munchkin dad was a mix of munchkin and Bombay). But i got the kitten from craigslist and there is no telling. But i know that neither munchkin nor Bombay have a short tail.

***the kitten on the photo is OKAY. He is fat and was stretching. No worms so please don't tell me i need to run to the vet***

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think she is a very energetic gray tabby!

Is her behavior to you OK otherwise?  As you mention she perhaps wasnt properly socialized...

Anyways, a common advices for these super energetics, be they a domestic or a bengal, is to get them a lively cat companion, who will be happy to join in the merry chases and wrestling matches.

They bind to their human owner anyway, no problem!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a cutie. It is her ears (they are quite large) and her eyes that made me wonder if she has a bit of Savannah or Egyptian Mau in her. My previous cat was a grey tabby (much darker grey) but didn't have the hooded eyes and the dark colouring around them. Abby has a bit of an "exotic" look, so I was poking around on the internet and images of both of these breeds reminded me of her. So I was wondering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

What a cutie. It is her ears (they are quite large) and her eyes that made me wonder if she has a bit of Savannah or Egyptian Mau in her. My previous cat was a grey tabby (much darker grey) but didn't have the hooded eyes and the dark colouring around them. Abby has a bit of an "exotic" look, so I was poking around on the internet and images of both of these breeds reminded me of her. So I was wondering.

I think she is a very energetic gray tabby!

Is her behavior to you OK otherwise?  As you mention she perhaps wasnt properly socialized...

Anyways, a common advices for these super energetics, be they a domestic or a bengal, is to get them a lively cat companion, who will be happy to join in the merry chases and wrestling matches.

They bind to their human owner anyway, no problem!
She seems quite good natured and friendly otherwise. I just think if one cat whirling around me, careening into furniture etc. is stressful, having two is my space would be too much. It is why I am thinking of contacting the organization I got her from and suggesting they find a multi-cat home for her, a home with more space or a home with a human who is home a bit more than I am - preferably all three.