Savannah cat hybrids?

jessicaromano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If a Savannah cat bred with an ordinary housecat, would the offspring be large and slender like the Savannah or more like a large sized housecat? Could the offspring handle cold weather outside?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert but it seems to me that the wild traits (the strange hiss and the markings, etc) might be deluted or disappear altogether if mated to another ordinary house cat?  They get that from the wild side and in order to maintain it, they have to be bred to another Savannah either an F1 or F2 whatever.  But, I would think that they'd just be another moggie if bred an F2 to a housecat especially.  Some traits might carry over but the wild traits may be recessive and be dominated by the housecats dominate traits.  That is how I would figure it.  Does that make sense to you? 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The generations of wildcat hybrids (F2, F3, etc.) ARE bred to housecats (only certain breeds are approved to preserve the spotting). I'm not sure how many generations it would take to completely dilute the wildcat blood. But no responsible breeder would let a purebred cat (hybrid or not) go to somebody who would let it breed with just any cat.