Saturday's Question of the Day - Aug 2

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I talk on the phone a lot!    One of my closest friends lives a long way away and we will put aside a couple of hours to catch up.  In fact I have a lot of far-flung friends and I'd be lost without my phone.  I much prefer a landline to a mobile, though.. the quality of sound is much better.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It all depends on who calls me. I can spend hours (and have!) talking to one of my GFs about all kinds of stuff. I just love talking with her. We haven't done it lately, but we used to kill the battery in her cell, so that I'd have to call her back on her house phone. And then we'd kill my cell battery, too. That's a lot of talking. But it never seemed like a lot of talking at the time. There was always so much to talk about.

I used to have a friend and when the phone rang, I knew, I just knew it was her. I'd walk over to answer the phone and realize it was probably her and I would stop dead. Or I'd mutter something to myself. I didn't want to talk to her, I didn't want to have to deal with her "problem of the day". It got to the point where I just wouldn't answer the phone anymore. I couldn't handle it. 

Most people, though? I'm OK. I don't mind talking to them. Not for hours on end, but I don't mind talking with them.

My mom and I had a habit of calling each other 3-4 times a week, usually in the morning right after I got to work (it wasn't a long distance call for her to call me at work). If she didn't call me by 8:30 or so, I'd give her a call, just to make sure she was OK. Mom passed away a couple years ago and, do you know, that I still reach out to the phone some mornings, thinking that I have to call Mom? I still do that....not all the time, but a few times a month. Or something will happen and I'll think, "Oh, gotta call Mom and tell her!" only to remember that I can't.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

It all depends on who calls me. I can spend hours (and have!) talking to one of my GFs about all kinds of stuff. I just love talking with her. We haven't done it lately, but we used to kill the battery in her cell, so that I'd have to call her back on her house phone. And then we'd kill my cell battery, too. That's a lot of talking. But it never seemed like a lot of talking at the time. There was always so much to talk about.

I used to have a friend and when the phone rang, I knew, I just knew it was her. I'd walk over to answer the phone and realize it was probably her and I would stop dead. Or I'd mutter something to myself. I didn't want to talk to her, I didn't want to have to deal with her "problem of the day". It got to the point where I just wouldn't answer the phone anymore. I couldn't handle it. 

Most people, though? I'm OK. I don't mind talking to them. Not for hours on end, but I don't mind talking with them.

My mom and I had a habit of calling each other 3-4 times a week, usually in the morning right after I got to work (it wasn't a long distance call for her to call me at work). If she didn't call me by 8:30 or so, I'd give her a call, just to make sure she was OK. Mom passed away a couple years ago and, do you know, that I still reach out to the phone some mornings, thinking that I have to call Mom? I still do that....not all the time, but a few times a month. Or something will happen and I'll think, "Oh, gotta call Mom and tell her!" only to remember that I can't.
That's so sweet. I remember when I was a student I would very occasionally call up my Grandma for a chat. She always sounded so happy to hear from me. I wish I'd called her more often, but I was too selfish and preoccupied in those days. And now of course she's not around to call any more.