Santiago, my best friend, my family, my partner, my teacher, my heart.

coni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My best friend passed away on tuesday May 10 , 2016. He was in his bed, curled in his sleep. No warning what so ever. He was a healthy eleven year old cat. He came to me when he was nothing more than a little wet fluffy thing that came from under a bridge in the streets of Santiago, Chile. He grew into the most amazing, handsom, strong, soft gorgeous cat. He and I, we had a good life together. He was my partner... moved around the whole country with me. From the city to the desert, from the city to the mountains of Patagonia, to the sea. He was warm, and gentle. He had a temper! haha he had a thousand different sounds to communicate, and we would have really funny conversations. He was always intrigued by everything, he needed to see everything that was going on!  

Here are some words I read at his funeral and messages from some of the people all around the world who loved him deeply.

Pete Roberts: you gave him a wonderful life where he could be the best of cats and he had the best adventures - the city, the desert, the forests. He was a magnificent cat, and yes, I loved him too. Please say goodbye for me - you must send him on his way for his next adventure. So sad, can't stop crying.

Samantha Sanchea Garcia  Amiga... Q dolor para mi corazón!!! Pero sabes... Recordaré siempre lo lindo q era... Con tanta personalidad ante todo, tierno... Las amantes de los gatos solo nosotras sabemos lo cómplice q se vuelven de nuestras alegrías y tristezas... Recuérdalo siempre con amor... Y lo linda q hizo tu vida!!!  

Valentina Saavedra Gomez   Santiago fue un tremendo compañero. Qué suerte tuviste de tenerlo y el a tí!

Marcos Arduengo Barrueto   Santiaguito en el Corazón te llevamos. Siempre estará a tu lado, guiando tus pasos y cuidando tus sueños, Grande Santiago, tributo siempre a este maravilloso compañero. 

Cherie: Hasta yo que no me gustan los gatos lo quería muchísimo,  imposible no quererlo, era único Mi amor eterno para Santiago, el gato perro más lindo del universo. Sus ojitos lindos, lejos el mejor.

Victor Pereira : Esa es la clave, el amor que se dieron, que no lo dejaste botado y que fue parte de tus planes hasta el final y tu de los suyos, porque él tampoco te abandono

Camilo Montalbetti: El consuelo es que lo tuviste, era único, con carácter y fue tuyo...

Valentina Saavedra: fue un gato feliz y precioso

Tamara Vezina: He truly was an exceptional cat. [emoji]128542[/emoji]

Ingrid : I have always loved this photo that Guy took of Santiago in 2010...one eye open watching the world. Santiago was a part of my Chilean life from the first day I arrived here. I have many wonderful memories of him, especially all the elastic band gifts he would bring home. A city cat who went with you on your Patagonian adventure, swopping the backyards of Lastarria for the wilds of Palena and El Amarillo. Sending you huge hugs my friend. Love you so much!

Valentina Saavedra: nos acordamos mucho de ti y Santiaguito en la mañana. Y me senti muy idetificada con el post de tu amiga cuando dijo que se le desaparecian sus colet

Beth: Our amazing Santiago, one of a kind. Looks like a cat, but he's not really... And I wonder what you will be next [emoji]10084[/emoji]  Forever in our hearts. Sleep well my friend. We miss you x

Chino: Descansa en paz Santiloki

Gracias por todo el amor que nos diste, por tus ratones, lagartijas y buen humor.

Tu cuerpo ya no contiene tu alma pero ahora ella está libre y junto a nosotros. Cuidanos y acompáñanos como siempre. Gracias por despedirte de mi hoy día, enséñanos la humildad de los animalitos  y muéstranos el camino al amor y a Dios.

Santiago siempre fue un gato feliz y dueño del mundo. Siempre hizo lo que quiso. Ahora le estorbaba su cuerpo y lo dejó no más. Pero él está por ahí, feliz mirando...

My best friend, my companion. I love you to the moon and back, you where my family. Thank you Santiago for always being there for me, for loving me and comforting me. For being such a funny cat, with a unique and distinctive personality.For always being honest about what you loved and what you didn’t.  For coming to me when I called you, hugging my neck at night, for purring in my ear, for making my feet warm. For being strong and independant, for your funny language… Bilingual Cat that is too! You are the h in my whole… and with out you it feels like just a hole. 11 years together, eleven years building the love and trust that we have for each other. I remember when we first got together you wouldn’t let me rubb your belly… you had some trust issues… but with time you ended up sleeping on my head. All the little ways you learned to let me know what you wanted and what you needed. Coming home with all sorts of elastic bands. Demanding wáter from the tap. Sitting at the table like you where going to pick up the knife and fork. Jumping everytime you heard the chopping board. Sitting on the back of the couch by the window, waiting for me to come home. I lost you twice in Santiago city…. Both times for about 2 days… and I looked for you non stop until we found eachother. All the times running to the doctor because you had a cut, when you lost your finger! How scared I was that time you fell off the closet in the middle of the night and fell on your nose. When you finally moved in to our house in Valle California and you started coming up to the main house with me, and waited for me to be finished with my work, hanging around the yard.. and then as soon as you heard me coming out and calling your name watching you jump into the co pilot sit of the  truck, like the partner you always were for me. How you would follow me to Feña´s house when I went there and sat outside by the window where you could see me.  I am so sorry we couldn’t figure out a way for you to tell me you  were sick. I am so sorry for not saying goodbye that last morning. The last time I saw you I was holding you, trying to keep you in my bed for a last morning cuddle. And you stayed still for a bit, trying to reassure me so I  would let go. You stayed yet for a bit and then you slipped out and went off to do your thing. And I feel you did the same here with your passing:  you died in your bed, resting like a baby.. so peaceful. Making it so easy for me to hold on to you even if you were no longer here. We cuddle for the last time for another extra night after you were gone. You gave me the chance to have an extra night of having my hand on your little body, you stayed with me, you gave all of today to stroke you and smell your head and feel your soft soft fur… the softest ever. And now i must let  you go. You are my world and will always be, life will never ever be whole again. 

Last edited by a moderator:

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He looks a bit like my Grisou!

And don't you worry a bit. Every cat that is passing on now is being looked after by the Rogue (white one in below picture). So while the Rogue can be a bit rambunctious, he is kept so busy by all those he is meeting that there won't be too much rough play, unless of course it is wished for.

Also, thank you for loving him. Know that no one can take that love. It will always be there, no matter if you love other cats, too.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Your post brought tears to my eyes.  It's so devastating to lose them, and more so when it's such a shock.  

Your love for this little guy comes through with every word and every photo.  I'm so very sorry.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wow! That looks just like my Santiago! except for the white chin! Thank you for your words.

coni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Betsygee, I loved him so so much. Today is my 2nd full day without him, and it has been so difficult. This site and being able to share with all of you my loss has helped me through the day. I am grateful for his quiet passing but the emptyness he leaves is huge. My boy.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful tribute to such a loving family member. Santiago went peacefully in his sleep, at home, in his bed that he loved so much, and even though it feels that it  was too soon, it has to be a comfort that he didn't suffer and he went gently to the Rainbow Bridge. I pray that all of our loved ones can go in this manner, the ones we hold so dear to our hearts shouldn't have to suffer a moment at all. I hope you can celebrate the life you shared, concentrate on the good times, you have many of them to treasure. The bond you forged over those eleven years can never be broken or taken from you, it will be with you for the rest of your life, and even though he took a piece of your heart with him, he left you a piece of his to comfort you in your times of sadness. My heart goes out to you, there are many who share your pain, and you are lucky indeed to have the support of friends and family who understand what you are going through.Time is the only thing that helps, it softens the pain, but we will always have a scar to remind us. Santiago left you the legacy of his love, he will keep on living through you, do good things in his name and eventually pass on that love to another. Like a mother with many children, it cannot be the same but is so precious and special just the same. It cannot be the same love but a new and different love. You will be blessed for hurting so bad from loving so much, I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, take care..........RIP sweet Santiago, you will be forever missed and held gently forever more in a loving heart!

coni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your words, today is a bit better because I know you all know about my Santiago, and you have taken the time to read about him, and look at his pictures, and acknowledge that he was here, he was the most important being in my life, he was half my little family, him and I , a family of two.  Thank you all for your words, my love goes out to you and your fury loved ones. Cuddle them, feed them well, tell them every day you love them, as I did. That also comforts me. 

coni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, he deserved the best! We found a beautiful spot in a corner, high ground, as he always loved to sit in the highest corner in the house, were he could see everything. This spot is in a piece of land I recently bought here in Patagonia, and it is in a straight line from the window of where I hope I will have my workshop, so we can see each other every day. We played music for him, we read lots of messages from everyone who loved him, I read a letter and pour my heart out. I kissed his head and put him in the ground  with my own hands, in his own bed, covered with the woolen blanket where he always used to nap, with a couple of hair bands as he was obsessed with them! and we also burried pictures of him and all our adventures together with him, so he never forgets how much I loved him. 

3rd day now since he is gone, and I still don't understand what is going on. 

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was so beautiful. I'm so sorry for your loss. Santiago was very handsome and very much loved. RIP Santiago.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Coni, I've just now had a chance to read your loving tribute to Santiago. What a handsome boy! The bond you shared is evident. I'm so sorry you lost him so suddenly. It's an awful feeling to not be prepared. Please be at peace that your dear boy did not suffer. He likely passed away peacefully in his sleep, dreaming of birds and mice and eating treats. 

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a lovely tribute.  I am so sorry for your loss of handsome Santiago.  Thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures.  My prayers are with you.

coni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sixteen days... not getting any easier. I miss him so much. I love you  Santiago, and need you. This sucks so much.

coni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! 

Yes, I have kept myself very busy. I have my dog, Truco, who is the sweetest dog in the world, I love him to bits. And I live with some friends, a couple, they are lovely and have been great. I also have tonds of work. So I am mostly doing ok. I just miss him so much, My relationship with Santiago was unique, and I just feel that he is not here very strongly. It is also a very emotional time as I split from my partner only 6 months ago. And I am now going through all the motions of divorce. So I am really missing that little paw on my shoulder at night saying "it is going to be ok! we are doing fine! "  Haha, he was the greatest.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you! 

Yes, I have kept myself very busy. I have my dog, Truco, who is the sweetest dog in the world, I love him to bits. And I live with some friends, a couple, they are lovely and have been great. I also have tonds of work. So I am mostly doing ok. I just miss him so much, My relationship with Santiago was unique, and I just feel that he is not here very strongly. It is also a very emotional time as I split from my partner only 6 months ago. And I am now going through all the motions of divorce. So I am really missing that little paw on my shoulder at night saying "it is going to be ok! we are doing fine! "  Haha, he was the greatest.
I'm glad you have some local support and a dog who loves you, but very sorry to hear about the split from your partner. I can't even imagine.

I definitely know that feeling of "missing." I've been very busy as well, but still missing my Sebastian so much every single day.