salt in Nutro, opinion?

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since i've read so much good comments about Nutro on this forum, i went to check out their websites and ingredients. and i saw SALT being listed.
but i've always heard that we sould not put salt in animla's food as it's too much sodium for them, is it becuz what i heard is not true?

any opinion?

link to nutro website
http://www.nutroproducts.com/nccatpckitten.asp

kitten tuna and chicken formula
Ingredients
Ingredients
Fish Broth, Tuna, Chicken, Turkey, Beef, Salmon, Beef Liver, Cod, Ground Rice, Dried Egg Product, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Tricalcium Phosphate, DL-Methionine, Salt, Carrageenan, Taurine, Sodium Ascorbate (Source of Vitamin C), Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Sulfate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide, Biotin, Sodium Selenite.
Nutro supports the safe, ethical and humane treatment of all animals, including those used by our suppliers who provide our ingredients.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
part flavor , part need for sodium in the diet( trust me I have a salt defieciency) ... it is not my favorite thing but I imagine it would be on the label in nearly every can...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i'm feeding wellness and it doens't have salt, that's why i'm little concern. thx very much for ur comment sharky.

any opinion regarding wellness vs nutro?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I prefer Nutro due to Wellness having Garlic which can cause anemia and since there is no magic number of when it could be fatel I try not to mess with it..

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Actually, I feed my cats both Wellness and Nutro. Kanoe eats mainly Wellness and will eat a few bits from the other cat's bowls of the Nutro. My other furkids eat Nutro and supplement with Wellness. I know this sounds a bit crazy, but it works. I like both foods... although I haven't decided if I want to stick with Nutro longterm because of the animal digest and byproducts that seem to be in almost every single food except wellness.

While I'm here... do you buy Wellness in big or little bags and where do you get it from? I'm looking for a more economical source.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kaleetha

Actually, I feed my cats both Wellness and Nutro. Kanoe eats mainly Wellness and will eat a few bits from the other cat's bowls of the Nutro. My other furkids eat Nutro and supplement with Wellness. I know this sounds a bit crazy, but it works. I like both foods... although I haven't decided if I want to stick with Nutro longterm because of the animal digest and byproducts that seem to be in almost every single food except wellness.

While I'm here... do you buy Wellness in big or little bags and where do you get it from? I'm looking for a more economical source.
thanks for your opinion. but i thouht nutro is free of byproduct and animal digest???

and btw for those of you who feed nutro, do you feed nutro natural choice? or do you feed nutro max? and what are the difference between them?

i'm from canada and i get my wellness from Global pet foods, it's only available in canada.

i feed mostly canns, and if you buy a tray of cans (24 cans) you get 5% discount. and for the dry ones there's bonus program, when you buy 8 packages you get one free. not sure if the states have smae program.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nutro does NOT have by products or digest in any product ( yes the cans have some organ meats that are named by both name and type)

I feed natural choice ... The dog get s ultra ( thou she is going back to natural choice) ... Zoey my youngest is on Ntural choice the original ( she has wheat and soy issues)

Max is basically aimed at grocery store buyers to get them in premium... good food but some have wheat( hairball doesnt) ... cats doent need wheat and thou easier to digest than corn and some others wheat is a high allergen... Rice is the easiest for a cats system

Natural choice is a all around formula for sesitive tummys , hairball issues

those are the drys the wets are a bit different I used both on one cat

madpiano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd be more worried about finding Carrageenan in there ?

I can only find some dodgy food scare sites at the moment (I am at work), but it is known to cause tummy upsets, bloating and has links to bowel and breast cancer in humans. Not something I would want to give to a cat.

mrsboz99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there
We feed wellness to our three kitties as well. They definitely get the canned exclusively, but we sometimes mix up the dry food. Two of my furrkids have really dry flaky skin on their back right now so trying to find something that has a bit more of the Omega oils in it. Regarding the size of bags though, we finally realized that they larger bags are FAR cheaper then buying the smaller ones...in some cases it worked out to almost half price! So we bought one of those vittles vault type things (large airtight container) and now store the large bags in there (since my one worry about buying larger bags was the food spoiling before I had a chance to use it all). Working great so far

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by madpiano

I'd be more worried about finding Carrageenan in there ?

I can only find some dodgy food scare sites at the moment (I am at work), but it is known to cause tummy upsets, bloating and has links to bowel and breast cancer in humans. Not something I would want to give to a cat.
Lots of foods can contain some pretty weird-sounding stuff. That's because processed foods have some amazing things they have to do. For example, a cookie might get made in Texas, trucked across the country in the middle of the summer, sit in a warehouse for a couple of weeks before it is sold and then ride home in the trunk of your car. And when you open the package, you expect the cookie to look perfect. Not an easy thing to accomplish, it turns out...

Things like liquids and cheese can be even more problematic, because their natural inclination is to separate, foam, melt, precipitate, et cetera, especially after they bounce down the road for a thousand miles.

That's why many foods contain chemicals known as gums. Two gums that are pretty familiar are gelatin and corn starch. If you look at processed food, you see all sorts of other gums like carrageenan, xanthan gum, cellulose gum, locust bean gum, agar, and so on. Food scientists (not cooks -- food scientists make processed foods) use these substances for four main reasons:

They thicken things: Ice cream, marshmallow fluff, pancake syrup, etc., all benefit from thickening.
They emulsify things: They help liquids to stay mixed together without separating.
They change the texture: Generally, a gum will make something thicker or chewier.
They stabilize crystals: A gum might help prevent sugar or ice from crystallizing.
These are all handy capabilities when making food products that have to look good for several months after trucking them across the country. The reason why a normal cook usually does not need to use things like carrageenan or xanthan gum is because the food a normal cook makes gets eaten quickly and is not mistreated. A cook can also use less expensive things like gelatin, flour or eggs because the time span between cooking and consumption is so short.
Carrageenan, by the way, is a seaweed extract. This particular type of seaweed is common in the Atlantic Ocean near Britain, Continental Europe and North America. You boil the seaweed to extract the carrageenan. In that sense, carrageenan is completely "natural" -- it's not much different from tomato paste in its creation.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/question315.htm

I am not worried at all but I knew exactly what it is ... a stabilizer ... it is used instead of wheat most likely... and I wouldnt use gelatin as I know what it is

madpiano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
seeing it that way, Monosodium Gluatamate is natural as well, as it is made from rice.... Carageenan is really not very good for human consumtion, it can cause stomach cramps, bloating and discomfort, but then so do some artificial sweeteners...

The only thing I found about carrageenan and cats, is that some throw up on it and get diarrhoea from it, but that could be caused by a change of food.

I just don't see the point in adding it to cat-food. It is used by the meat industry to inflate meat with water (it makes it hold more water without going soggy), so it points to the fact that Nutro is adding it to disguise the fact that they have pumped up their meat with water ? Something I would expect to see in cheaper foods, rather than something as expensive as Nutro ?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by madpiano

seeing it that way, Monosodium Gluatamate is natural as well, as it is made from rice.... Carageenan is really not very good for human consumtion, it can cause stomach cramps, bloating and discomfort, but then so do some artificial sweeteners...

The only thing I found about carrageenan and cats, is that some throw up on it and get diarrhoea from it, but that could be caused by a change of food.

I just don't see the point in adding it to cat-food. It is used by the meat industry to inflate meat with water (it makes it hold more water without going soggy), so it points to the fact that Nutro is adding it to disguise the fact that they have pumped up their meat with water ? Something I would expect to see in cheaper foods, rather than something as expensive as Nutro ?
As a human nutrition major I would rather see a natural substance... than chemicals . ,.. It is expensive to use thus cheaper companies use corn .. it is a stabalizer just like guar gum and xyanthan gum.. they keep things together ... yes it could cause tummy upset in some but so does chn , rice , wheat , apples the list goes on...
From where it is on the label it is a stabalizer it aint "pumping up " anything

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Nutro does NOT have by products or digest in any product ( yes the cans have some organ meats that are named by both name and type)
Thank you Sharky. My only excuse for that mixup is that fact that I end up looking at about 20 different kinds of food everytime I'm at the store and they get mixed up in my head.... I get Wellness (the dry version, Kanoe won't eat wet) at the Good Food Store and it seems most of the supposedly "healthier" foods include digests or byproducts or bonemeal.

I feed Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
anytime..lol.. I often get foods mixed up..lol

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sure Nutro only puts the right quantity of salt in their food. To enhance the flavor and perhaps cats need a certain amount. I mean don't we need a certain amount of salt in our diet? I'll bet we make the mistake of eating a lot more sodium than what's in that can of Nutro.