Salmon recipes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Belinda, I think Salmon is an acquired taste myself and I have to really be in the mood for it to eat it...I heard it's great for your skin though!
You might be right Helen, it just had a yucky taste to me, my husband likes it though.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have salmon at least once a week. The flavor change change depending on where the fish was raised. I really like Wild Alaskan salmon or Pacific salmon vs Atlantic salmon. Lots of the atlantic salmon is farm raised and color added to give that reddish color.
If frozen I defrost and blot the fish well so its dry. I melt butter add some white wine (or dry vermouth) and a bit of lemon juice. I then brush (or pour) a bit in the bottom of the pan. Then brush the tops wit the rest. I add a bit of seafood seasoning or kosher salt & fresh ground pepper. I cook at 375-400F for about 15 minutes checking for doneness.
Your can also brush/marinate the fish with a teriayke marinade too.
We also have smoked fish in the house-salmon is good as some of the fresh vendors will add flavoring. My dad likes somed whitefish (ususally from Lake Michigan)

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a stupid question about salmon, or any fish for that matter. When you get fillets and the skin is still on them, do you cut the skin off before you cook it or do it skin and all? I got some MahiMahi fillets a few weeks ago and tried to cut the skin off...ended up with just enough to put in a salad! And they were good size fillets! Basically, I hacked it to bits!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I have a stupid question about salmon, or any fish for that matter. When you get fillets and the skin is still on them, do you cut the skin off before you cook it or do it skin and all? I got some MahiMahi fillets a few weeks ago and tried to cut the skin off...ended up with just enough to put in a salad! And they were good size fillets! Basically, I hacked it to bits!
I don't know what kind of fish MahiMahi is, but here in Mississippi we cook our fish sometimes with the skin on it still. But I am talking about bass, white perch or catfish, we hafta get the scales off of them though. But usually when they catch these kind they only keep the big ones anyways, then they just take the skin off. But if now we just eat the skin and everything.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It might not work for filets but for salmon steaks here's what I do.

Buy virgen olive oil, lemons, fish seasoning, raw ginger root or fresh onions

Wrap it all up in tinfoil and barbacue over charcoal outside, If ginger root is aided chop it into tiny peaces. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/ima...ilies/wink.gif unwrap and let cool before eating, meat is so tender it melts in your mouth and falls off the bones

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Its a very expensive and its also called dolpin fish. Its looks pritty wild and beautiful though when it dies its pritty yellow geenish blue color fades into a brownish gray. Its very good with rice had a sign language teacher who I loved, Chris, works at Highland Senior high, and I brought some of it over in rice, everyone loved it. She was teaching us world geoprahic at the time. I'm not deaf myself but I am hard of hearing and know some sigh language.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A tip for those who aren't keen on "fishy" taste -- and I suspect this will be what puts some people off salmon, but not the white fishes. Regardless what else you do in the way of seasoning, sprinkle your fish with freshly ground pepper -- a little or a lot, depending on your taste -- and GROUND ANISE. A light sprinkle is all you need, but what it does is "sweeten" the flavour, and it really tones down that "fishy" taste/smell.

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take halibut or salmon filets –

On the top, spread a thin layer of Dijon mustard, chopped garlic, and basil paste (or fresh basil). Grind fresh pepper on it. Lay three sliced lemons on it, wrap each separately and loosely in foil. Bake 375 for about 20 minutes (don't over bake). Good with rice pilaf and asparagus. Low fat too!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For removing the skin on fish, It peels off easily after you cook it, or it sticks to the pan
That's usually how I get it off.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Panther pride

Its a very expensive and its also called dolpin fish. Its looks pritty wild and beautiful though when it dies its pritty yellow geenish blue color fades into a brownish gray. Its very good with rice had a sign language teacher who I loved, Chris, works at Highland Senior high, and I brought some of it over in rice, everyone loved it. She was teaching us world geoprahic at the time. I'm not deaf myself but I am hard of hearing and know some sigh language.
My daughter is a speech pathologist, and she has been signing since the 6th grade.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

For removing the skin on fish, It peels off easily after you cook it, or it sticks to the pan
That's usually how I get it off.
I've done that before too. I actually like salmon skin if its crispy.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My salmon salsa recipe has always been a hit (and it's low on points, if you're on Weight Watchers). Preheat the oven (temperature varies; the salmon fillets we get -- Captain Highliner -- go in at about 400). Spray a baking dish and place the salmon in it. Sprinkle the salmon with taco seasoning or chili powder (how much is up to you). Chop up a yellow pepper and toss it in over the salmon. Cover the mess with salsa (spiciness is up to you, but we usually go with medium chunky salsa), cover the baking dish, and pop it in the oven. The exact length of time varies according to the fillet instructions, but with the ones we get it takes about 30-40 minutes; turn the salmon fillets over about halfway through cooking. You can also add chopped up tomatoes or vary the kinds of bell pepper, although we find yellow works best for us. It's yummy, and there's always enough salsa to make a sauce for rice.