Salem's First Winter Coat!!!

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My little one, Salem is about 19 months(?)old and was born on May 13th, 2018. So, last winter she still had her kitten coat. This winter . . . WOW! :jawdrop: I thought after she got her adult coat this past summer, that that was pretty much it. Salem spends all her time warm, inside (don't know if that makes a difference or not) and my past cats never had much of a coat change in the winter. I do have to admit that she is my first long haired cat, but I am just amazed at all her royal fluffiness! :loveeyes: Her mane is so thick and full that she looks like a little black lion. 🦁 Salem also has had some slight color changes. Her adult summer coat was a rich black with a patch of silver on her belly. The hair never grew back the same after she was shaved for her spay and the silver hair is wavy and a bit curly. She had silver all over the place as a kitten and lost it everywhere else except her belly. Anyways, now with her new winter coat, her mane is a lighter coal color and she has rusty chocolate highlights on her chest. Her coat is super soft, silky and shiny! My last two cats were both short haired, one a tabby and the other a tortie, both with very coarse hair. So, for everyone here who has already experienced the splendor of a long haired cat, please forgive my excitement. :biggrin: I just can't believe how fluffy she is and I wanted to share some pictures of my beautiful girl's first winter coat. :redheartpump:

11-12-2019  (2).JPG 11-12-2019  (4).JPG 11-12-2019  (5).JPG 11-12-2019  (7).JPG

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
My little one, Salem is about 19 months(?)old and was born on May 13th, 2018. So, last winter she still had her kitten coat. This winter . . . WOW! :jawdrop: I thought after she got her adult coat this past summer, that that was pretty much it. Salem spends all her time warm, inside (don't know if that makes a difference or not) and my past cats never had much of a coat change in the winter. I do have to admit that she is my first long haired cat, but I am just amazed at all her royal fluffiness! :loveeyes: Her mane is so thick and full that she looks like a little black lion. 🦁 Salem also has had some slight color changes. Her adult summer coat was a rich black with a patch of silver on her belly. The hair never grew back the same after she was shaved for her spay and the silver hair is wavy and a bit curly. She had silver all over the place as a kitten and lost it everywhere else except her belly. Anyways, now with her new winter coat, her mane is a lighter coal color and she has rusty chocolate highlights on her chest. Her coat is super soft, silky and shiny! My last two cats were both short haired, one a tabby and the other a tortie, both with very coarse hair. So, for everyone here who has already experienced the splendor of a long haired cat, please forgive my excitement. :biggrin: I just can't believe how fluffy she is and I wanted to share some pictures of my beautiful girl's first winter coat. :redheartpump:

View attachment 309144View attachment 309147View attachment 309149View attachment 309150
Gorgeous kitty

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the world of looking after a long hair cat.

Use a wide tooth comb to brush her. A fine tooth comb or brush will compress and matt her fur. I learnt that the hard way.

I have also noticed that my boys fur gets thicker in the cold weather. They do go outside in our cold winter.

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She looks soo fluffy! She's gorgeous.

I live in Northern Cali and it does get coldish here in winter. Honeybunny is an indoor kitty but she definitely grew a winter coat this year too-its awesome, shes extra fluffy :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the world of looking after a long hair cat.

Use a wide tooth comb to brush her. A fine tooth comb or brush will compress and matt her fur. I learnt that the hard way.

I have also noticed that my boys fur gets thicker in the cold weather. They do go outside in our cold winter.
Wow, um thank you! :eek2: That is really good to know.! I am constantly worried about Salem getting matted. So far I have been using a soft bristle safari brush without any problems. But, with what you said, I have already started looking into combs and will get one as soon as possible. Salem is not an easy cat to brush. I have been brushing her with a soft brush once a week since she was 4 1/2 weeks old. She is used to it and is not afraid of it. She just hates it. :ohwell: She bites at the brush and I am a little worried she would hurt herself on a metal comb. What brand do you recommend? Do you have any favorites?
By the way, I love your boys! They are just gorgeous! :redheartpump: