Safest OTC Wormer

rinadaventry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet charges an arm and a leg for a basic wormer-- last time I was given something I had to give to Alcott by mouth once daily for worms. Is there a safe over the counter wormer I could use? The vet just charges the office fee plus the medicine, and while I want my kitty to feel better I also want to be able to pay my power bill. Anything?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
here the thing ... my vet explained that most otc wormers ( the roundworm stuff ) wont hurt but it aint likely to work... Drontenal around where I live is about 12 a pill it covers both round and tape , it is 16 or so to have the vet give it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rinadaventry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not the medicine thats costing me-- its the 30 dollar flat visit fee. Drontenal-- and its just one pill or a series of pills? Where can I find it?

Thanks Sharky!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it is a pill /// call around most vet s dont charge an office visit for a pilling ( usually vet tech can do it) ... it is at the vet .. I was given one for each and told to repeat in three months

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
can you not go to another vet? or is this visit fee because the vet administors the pill?
I cant remember the name of the worming tablet I use but its one tablet that I give every 3 months... i will find out the name, but someone else will come along with the answer as well.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand why your vet would charge you a flat fee?! Is your cat needing to see the vet?

I bought my worming tablets at my vets - I just asked for three and they sorted them out and sold them to me for £3 per tablet. (can't remember the tablet name, offhand!)

If you pop into the veterinary surgery, and ask the reception or vet nurse if you can buy them! Surely, as you aren't seeing the vet, they can't charge you for the visit?!

Other than that, as suggested, call other vets and see if they will let you buy the wormer without visitation fee!

I hope you get it sorted out soon!

td128

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What kind of worms are they? When Drusilla had tapeworms I used TradeWinds Tapeworm Tabs, that I bought off of Amazon.com, and they worked fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rinadaventry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I ended up calling back when there was a different vet tech who said the new vet that just joined the practice was the one insisting on seeing and diagnosing pets before handing out meds. As Alcott has been seeing the original vet, she'd give me the Drontal for 9 dollars! Now another question though-- I gave him to pill as instructed (put it in the back of his throat and held his head back to force him to swallow) but he foamed at the mouth quite a bit afterwards. Did he swallow it and was just gagging? I've never had to give a pill to a cat before!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is NO safe over-the-counter wormer. Foaming is normal for worming pills, you are giving your cat essentially a toxic substance and it does not taste good.

ellen55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

There is NO safe over-the-counter wormer. Foaming is normal for worming pills, you are giving your cat essentially a toxic substance and it does not taste good.
The last time I took my cats for their check-ups the vet shoved a Drontal down their throat without even asking me first. I didn't mind but when I asked if I could buy some for my ferals he said no, he would have to see them first. These cats have already been trapped once when I had them s/n and I don't think I will be able to trap them again to get them to the vets office. I know they have some kind of worms because I saw one in their water dish. I know better than to buy an over-the counter wormer, but it sure is tempting.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love my vet, I call him with the weight and age of my ferals and he mails me the pills I need. He knows that some of my cats do not do well in confinement and though I can pill them, he respects my wishes that I rather not take them in everytime I have to worm them.

ellen55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

I love my vet, I call him with the weight and age of my ferals and he mails me the pills I need. He knows that some of my cats do not do well in confinement and though I can pill them, he respects my wishes that I rather not take them in everytime I have to worm them.
There's 4 vets at the clinic I go to. I'll call tomorrow and ask one of the other vets for Drontal. I can't pill my ferals but I can put it in their food.
Thanks.

madpiano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet just gave me that new stuff for de-worming which is like flea drops on the back of his neck. No pills, no paste, no scratching or gagging. It was only £5 as well and apparently lasts for 3 months, so way cheaper than monthly worming pills.
You can't get it over the counter, but the vet should give it out anyway, as cats should be de-wormed regulary, not only when they show symptoms ?