Safe weight loss for cat

elizasherr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bert, our 8 year old, was 24 lbs two years ago, and now he is really starting to show his weight loss.  My one question is, although we have noticed a little here and there, suddenly, he is seeming to be losing fairly quickly.  I have been alternating, wet food in the AM and dry food in the evening, and our other two cats seem to be just fine with this, and have been.  He has always been a big water drinker, so the fact that I am noting that more is starting to make a little bell go off in my head.  Does anyone have the same experience, where their weight loss in kitty is suddenly making them take note?  I do have him scheduled for a normal vet visit in 2 mos, but I am wondering should I take him in earlier?

E

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi although i can't relate to any of my kitties in my life having to lose weight ,you noticing that may just be that a bell ringing.If it were me and it was my boy who is young I wouldn't wait two months.All kinds of things seem to creep up on our babes and weight loss may just be coincidental. I would personally have a full blood panel done with T4 thyroid levels & urinalysis via cysto&  a stool sample as well if you can get a fresh one.Some things can be related I suppose but I remember being asked by my vet when i was really young" How much does your kitty drink?" i kinda looked at like Hmm Then said i don't know I presume he is drinking what he feels he needs.He said to me no.Looking  back on different things with my kitts, the symptomology of something going on was there, but I missed it.Just what i would do.Great you are so observant & I'm sure your boy feels alot better with that weight loss.Just like people.Good Job!!!Hugs C.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pumpkinjaani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info.  Yes, his thyroid was checked and came back normal.  All his blood work came back normal and I took him in yesterday so they could get a urine sample.  

Other than helping him lose weight slowly, our concern now is to find out what the cause of his coughing is.  For the longest time I thought it was hairballs, but have never seen him spit up a hairball.  The vet thinks it is respiratory and we need to document every time he does it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pumpkinjaani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would take him in right away.