Safe To Bathe Cat Who Was Neutered Yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I took a stray male cat to be neutered. He is from the same place as Peanut who was a pregnant stray I got spayed a few weeks ago. I thought this was Peanut's mom or her sister but was wrong since it's not a female. Here is the thread I posted for Peanut Pregnant Semi-feral Was Spayed
While in the carrier at the vets he must not of felt well and ended up pooping and getting it everywhere besides his head and neck. The vets assistant said she tried to clean him up as much as she could but he does still have it on him and smells pretty bad. He is friendly and Im able to pick him up. He isn't in that great of shape though. He is very skinny and his breathing doesn't seem right. None of this I realized until I got home which is an hour away from where the kitty is from.
I've never actually had to bathe my cats, besides watching my mom when I was a kid give a our cat who was allergic to fleas a bath. I do know it's probably not going to be that easy if I do bathe him.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you're supposed to bathe them right after they get neutered, but call your vet and double check, they would know if you can use cat wipes or something like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think you're supposed to bathe them right after they get neutered, but call your vet and double check, they would know if you can use cat wipes or something like that.
It was the same vet that spayed Peanut. They arent open on the weekend although the vet didnt seem to happy about the kitty having the accident in the carrier so I would rather not ask him.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't get the incision wet for 2-3 days at least. You could take a warm damp washrag and wipe him down though. You might have to rinse the rag and ring it out several go-rounds, but that should help. Then perhaps he will take over and clean himself the rest of the way.

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys. Im going to try using a washcloth and water like was suggested.
I haven't seen him bathe himself at all. I think it might have something to do with the breathing issue making it uncomfortable for him.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think i would bathe him yet either. Im not sure of the time to wait. I always have a lot of those micro cloths, or old wash cloths i keep for cat related issues. I would say warm water and a cloth should help.

I don't know, but cats do have accidents when they are sick or afraid, nothing unusual about that. Personally if the vet made you feel bad about that, or you are not comfortable enough with this vet to call and ask about a bath i would think about finding a different vet?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys. Im going to try using a washcloth and water like was suggested.
I haven't seen him bathe himself at all. I think it might have something to do with the breathing issue making it uncomfortable for him.
If he is having breathing issues i think that would call for a vet visit. Did he have them before he was neutered? Did the vet talk about that at all?

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
This was the night before he got neutered while I was petting him. When ever you scratch the side of his face or chin he just kinda falls over on your hand and starts purring:catlove:
20180323_051215.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - is he eating? Are you feeding him wet food? You can also feed him a little bit of raw egg yolk (no raw egg white), also some tuna, boiled unseasoned chicken or turkey, baby food with no onion or garlic in the ingredients, kitten milk replacer, canned kitten food - all these things or even one or two will help getting more nutrients into him.

Does his breathing improve if you have him near a steaming shower?

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he is having breathing issues i think that would call for a vet visit. Did he have them before he was neutered? Did the vet talk about that at all?
No the vet just let me know about the incident he had in his carrier and I left. A rescue that helps get cats fixed set up the appointment. I don't like the vet that the rescue uses because of the way he does things. Its like no matter what the kitties condition he still does the surgery.
Yes he had the breathing issue before the vet. When I took the kitty in that morning I told the receptionist/vet tech that something seems really wrong with his breathing.

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi - is he eating? Are you feeding him wet food? You can also feed him a little bit of raw egg yolk (no raw egg white), also some tuna, boiled unseasoned chicken or turkey, baby food with no onion or garlic in the ingredients, kitten milk replacer, canned kitten food - all these things or even one or two will help getting more nutrients into him.

Does his breathing improve if you have him near a steaming shower?
I have a humidifier in the room and it's does seem to help.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think he has a URI? The vet (obviously) didn't send you home with any medicine or any advice on the breathing issue. :( Can you talk to someone at the rescue who might help with that?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shame on the vet for not addressing the breathing issue. He should have talked to you about it, and quite possibly prescribed antibiotics. as orange&white said, talk to the rescue. It should, in my opinion be addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.