safe proofing house for new kitten

beesto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, 

First time kitten owner and I need good advice... I want to do everything right of course to keep my kitten happy and healthy.  Any tricks for how to safeguard the washer and dryer which is easily accessible inside the house.  There's space on the sides, and behind she could crawl into.  I was thinking shoving blankets there- but is there a smarter way?

Do all electrical cords need to be covered?

I know to keep the toilet seat down for kittens and hand cords for blinds up and away.  And to get rid of poisonous plants.  Not sure  what a couple of my plants are but I do have a peace lily and I saw lilies are poisonous to cats.

Thank you for your advice!

Bonnie

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome. I was a new cat owner four or five years ago and had the same questions. My cat mentor (who rescued Ritz and taught me everything I knew about cats) came over and helped me cat proof my home.
Get down on your hands and knees to see what your cat will see. That may help you decide what proofing you need to do.
Keep in mind cats jump HIGH. And, if they can fit their heads into a space, then can fit their entire body.
Here is an article about making your house safe for cats.
You're right about plants: lily is one of the most toxic plant for cats. The ASPCA has a http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plantsof toxic plants.
Some cats chew, some don't (Ritz is not a chewer). I initially put aluminum foil on all electrical outlets, the theory being if Ritz started exploring the noisy foil would, um, foil her attempts.
Regarding the washer dryer, I would be cautious about putting anything behind the dryer, may impede the dryer vents. But someone else may chime in--I am SO not a handyman. Could you put some type of chair or piece of wood to discourage exploration. Ritz has never attempted to get behind any appliances, I've been lucky that way. She is jumping up on the counter tops, but I don't leave anything worth exploring or eating on them.
Good luck and have fun!

stormi71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our new kitten sleeps at night in the laundry (our laundry is part of the house, not an outside laundry). I was worried about the washer and dryer. We pulled them a bit further away from the wall just in case she got behind them, and I also make sure they are unplugged. Always keep the lids/doors of them shut, and ALWAYS check inside before using them. Delilah was biting cords the first day or two we had her, but I'd clap my hands loudly twice and say NO loudly, then move her away. She is 12 weeks and probably teething, so that makes them want to chew things more.
Just closely supervise your kitten for the first days, because even if you've kitten-proofed, they'll find something you've missed, or a space you thought they couldn't get into.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a hint on how to know if SOME plants are poisonous to cats -- if it grows from a BULB, it may be poisonous -- like onions and garlic, and lilies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beesto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the great advice! This site is so super helpful!!