Safe commercial pet foods without toxins, controversial ingredients -are few and far between. What t

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is no perfect food.  If by chance there were one that everyone agreed was perfect there probably wouldn't be a kitty that would eat it.  Add in to it each kitty having their own food sensitivities, possibly health issues, along with their own taste in food it's just a trial and error thing.

You can find articles pro and con for many ingredients.  I know Montmorillonite healing clay is used in alternative medicine and there is evidence of people using it going back into ancient times.  It is thought to absorb toxins in the intestines.  http://spiritdetox.com/the-facts/benefits-of-healing-clay/     I am sure you can find articles that will say it has no place in our pet's food.

chloe92us

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about Weruva, I feed my cats that, they also make tiki cat. I feed orijen dry cat and kitten for treats.
Just a correction; Weruva does not make Tiki Cat. Weruva also makes BFF, cats in the kitchen, Soulistic, and Weruva.

In my opinion, they are all good foods, including Tiki. However, many are fish based so if you avoid that (I don't) it may limit your options from those lines.

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to read about the loss of your kitty! ...

Thanks for the information on the Yucca schidigera extract. I see this popping up in different foods as well but its usually way down in the ingredients list. Apparently it was originally used to reduce the smell of manure from farm animals and its use in pet foods is apparently for the same purpose, to reduce stool odor.

Just for your additional information, the pate varieties of Fancy Feast do not contain carageenan or wheat gluten, but then do contain the artificial vit k. It's rather ironic that Purina would include something like this in their pet food, but then leave out other potentially harmful ingredients such as carageenan and wheat gluten? It's also regrettable that this pet food company opts to use a synthetic source of vit k rather than the natural Vit K2 source known as menaquinone I believe. I don't often see Vit K or the menadion sodium bisulfate as an ingredient. It would be helpful to know which brands you found that contain this synthetic type so others can be informed.

Some grain-free brands that do not contain carageenan or Vit K are : GO Brand by Petcurean, Nature's Variety Instinct, Hound & Gatos, Weruva and there are probably a few others. Some of these brands do contain some carbs however, but I think you will find that the majority of grain-free wet foods will feature some carbs to replace what would constitute grains in other brands.

As I have mentioned in another post, carageenan in itself is not a known carcinogen. There are two forms and it is poligeenan that is the degraded form that was administered to lab animals and found to cause cancer, not the undegraded form of carageenan. Studies show that carageenan may cause inflammation (immune response) and for this reason, it is not advisable that people or pets consume foods containing this ingredient.

EDIT: I think that when it comes to harmful ingredients, pet consumers can play an important role in bringing about a positive change in this respect. That is to say, that if you see ingredients in your pet's food that you believe are harmful, and can make references in support, you should contact the pet food company or manufacturer and tell them about your concerns. If enough individuals did this, it might be sufficient incentive for the company to take action.

Here is a link to an article at Truth About Pet Foods, on the subject of an ingredient known as Ethoxyquin, which is a chemical preservative which has been linked to serious liver issues. It is thought that through complaints to manufacturers, some companies such as Natural Balance, Solid Gold, Canidae have taken the steps to remove or replace this ingredient. Did Pet Owners Influence Several Brands of Pet Food to Change? Looks like it
Instinct now contains k3 mena dione