Safe Cat Toys idea? I think my cat is allergic to catnip!

claud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I worry about small cat toys with parts that come off like mouse eyes, tails, etc. Also, I think my cat is a little sensitive to catnip and he gets sores on his body if he is around it very much. Does anyone know of any quality cat toy companies, perhaps smaller ones? I have gotten him some hard plastic balls with bells inside, and am thinking of buying ping pong balls. He has a few soft mice toys that seem okay, and a few wand toys that I don't leave out. I have thought of making my own, but would still have to be careful about thread, etc. Any ideas? I didn't worry so much with other cats but this one is so darn sensitive (FIV) to things. But he loves to play and I need to give him some quality time actively playing.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever tried any of the toys (like small cloth mice or "kicking sticks") that have honeysuckle instead of catnip? I would stick with fleece-covered cat toys, if you want soft toys like mice or balls or kicking sticks for him to play with. Also, some cats react with sensitivity to wool toys, plus I consider felted wool toys to be "supervised" toys... as cats can shred them in minutes. If your cat is sensitive, it's likely he'll react to wool.

Last edited:

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here are Sinbad's favorite toys. We no longer buy commercial cat toys, none of them hold nearly the appeal these do. Obviously some can only come out with us supervising. But the crochet squid i made and balled up sock never get old for him or Tempest and they can be left out.

I do still boggle at how much joy he has with the dowel rod.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooh - I LOVE that squid :clap: That battered peacock feather reminded me that Asha has a few big pheasant feathers that she loves too (though sadly only when I'm playing with her with them).

Isn't the cotton bud a bit small to be safe, though?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, the cardboard paper towel tube... :D
I've provided that toy as well! I've used fat, tough ribbons instead of twine, though.

My kitten plays with shadows and light beams flickering on the floor. Can't get much safer than that!

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@Columbine Those squids are popular! I sell them $20 a pop at a local store, and people keep trying to get me to sell on etsy.

As to the Qtip, yeah I hate it when he gets his paws/mouth on one of them. But he actively tries to get at them, and loves them so much, I put one in the shot as another indicator of how little you actually need commercial cat toys. I have to lock them up in the closet because he figured out how to open the drawer I used to keep them in. He also loves empty pill bottles, but I didn't think to put one in the shot.