Safe Alternative To Tomlyn Immune Support L-lysine Powder?

mechakat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a formerly stray outdoor kitty I give Tomlyn immune support l-lysine powder but Im running out. Since that stuff is pricey would it be ok to give her this instead:

could I use the scoop that came in the Tomlyn powder to measure the dose? Im guessing it would still be the same.

I also found this just now:

comes with the same amount as the Tomlyn(about 100g) but a bit cheaper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mechakat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
um the links didn't work, lets try this again:

1st link- the regular powder (non pets)

2nd link (powder specifically for pets)

mechakat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im sorry the links aren't working I don't know why. :(
the first one is called Nutrabio 100% pure L-lysine

the 2nd one is Doggy Naturals Trulysine
both are available on Amazon

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use Vitacost brand Lysine. It's a powder and dissolved in water. A heaping 1/4 teaspoon equals 500 mg.

Jesset1977

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has the lysine treats and loves them never had an issue. They're cheese chicken flavored I think. Available at petsmart.

mechakat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
^ this cat is weird, she doesn't like treats, she eats kibble in a bowl fine but wont take a treat even if I just place it on the floor, she just sniffs it and leaves... lol.

stephanietx, seems like a good brand, the Nutrabio is still cheaper, maybe I shouldn't get it too cheap? Also the regular non pet powders dont have cat friendly flavoring so i dont know how she'd react to the taste. I put the stuff mixed in her wet food.

I also worry about it going bad, does this tye of powder have an expiration date? I couldnt find any expi date on the Tomlyn container.

Kat9055

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is a while ago, but in case people are still looking for alternatives... I love Tomlyns because my cats do, but after dealing with lots of fosters with URIs, it was way too expensive. I mix Tomlyns with human-grade l-lysine (my vet verified it was fine) about 1:10 ratio since the tomlyns smells and tastes good and sometimes mix dried Bonito Flakes into the container to further help it smell enticing. My cats love it with a little wet food and it is so much cheaper!