Sad situation - need vibes

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey guys, could use some major vibes/prayers for another cat situation the rescue I volunteer is dealing with. Thirteen cats, including a mom and 4 kittens, were abandoned at a house not far from my feral colony. The cats are scared, but by no means feral. They'll likely need to be trapped, though. We got a hold of the mom and kittens, but they've tested positive for feline leukemia. Chances are are least some of the others are FeLV+ too. Our rescue doesn't euthanize for FeLV unless the cats are sick, but our options for housing them, especially this many, are limited. With no place to house them, the remaining cats are at risk of being picked up by the local county shelter, which is very high kill and not rescue friendly.

Please send vibes that the cats stay safe and we can find a way to help them.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that you are able to help all of the cats

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you can catch them safely and that they all don't turn up FeLV+. Lots of vibes for you!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Oh Eileen! And the kitties may just have mom's antibodies.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YES, true about the antibodies
. Sending loads and loads of vibes for ALL of these poor kitties. SO glad they have been found though. Keep us posted

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, everyone.
We're definitely hoping the kittens just have the mom's antibodies. I have a little more info after their vet visit. The kittens are still pretty small so we figured them at about 10-12 weeks old. The vet puts them at 5 months, though. They're that small and under fed. The mama cat through her spay surgery just fine. We originally thought she was pregnant again, but the vet says she's actually postpartum - probably within a week. So, there is another of litter of kittens, probably not healthy, that didn't survive. I haven't found any evidence of them at the house.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh how sad, I mean, about the litter of kittens that didn't survive
. I am so thankful that this mama kitty has been resuced though. And I am sure she feels that way too. Poor girl, caring for all of these kittens. Well, now she has help
. Mega vibes and prayers that they all continue to recover and thrive

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, just sharing more info and requesting more vibes. Turns out it was just the mama cat and one of the kittens who were tested. The other will be later in the week. The kittens are in bad shape, though, very underweight, dehydrated and our vet says one of the little guys has the teeth of a 16 year old cat who's never had dental care. Said she wouldn't be surprised if he's double positive.

I've been stopping by and feeding the cats daily and they're starting to warm up to me, especially an orange/while male and a black/white female (I think). Unfortunately, the situation has become even more critical. When I stopped by today, the food and water bowls had been removed and their was a board in place to limit the cats' access to the house. The director of our rescue is trying to track down the owner (it's rental property in very bad shape) to buy us some time. We've been frantically sending out emails for potential placement, including Best Friends and various sanctuaries that take in FeLV cats, as well as contacting local groups, although those options are limited.

The clinic director and I are meeting at the house tonight to try to get a hold of the two friendliest cats and at least get them to the spay/neuter clinic for care. We can temporarily house them with the mama cat and kittens, but just don't have any other space to isolate them. Please keep the vibes/prayers coming that we can help these cats. If any others do test positive and we can't find placement, we'll need to make a very difficult decision. No one wants that, but we feel it's better they go with love than starve to death or be euthanized at the county shelter without even being given a chance.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a terrible situation for you and some heartbreaking decisions. Many vibes that things improve for all involved.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the vibes, everyone. They're very much appreciated. Sorry for not posting an update sooner, but things have been pretty crazy. On a positive note, we've made contact with the owner of the house and have permission to keep feeding the cats on a very temporary basis. He still wants them removed ASAP, but will not involve animal control.

We were able to get a hold of two of the adult cats the other night and, here's the best news, they tested negative!
In addition, the male had already been neutered. So, these two will be staying with our rescue. We don't have the space, but will figure out something.

Yesterday morning when I went over to feed, I heard some meowing from inside the house. It had been boarded up the day before and the cleaning crew assured me no cats were inside. My plan was to meet them there the next day anyway. Sure enough, this smart little black and white kitty found her own way back into the house and, once she saw me, found her way back out. She's so friendly, our clinic director encouraged me to bring her in too. Just waiting on word of her test results.

That leaves 6 cats still at the house. A couple of them are starting to warm up to me, but are still very scared. We'll probably need to trap the rest, but want to have a plan in place regarding what to do with them first. We're planning adoption push in Nov., so I'm hoping if we can buy a little time with the owner any others that test neg. can come into the rescue. Still making contact with groups that take in FeLV cats for the others.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eileen, it sounds like the best possible outcome! Now you're able to buy time with the property owner, put a plan in place, that the rest test negative, and that they get adoted quickly!

Not asking for much!

Seriously - you're such a blessing to these kitties, and the rescue is just AWESOME!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More good news - the little black and white girl tested neg. too!
From what the director of our spay/neuter clinic says she's a total love bug.

We also have leads on placement for the FeLV+ mama and kittens and a barn home for the others. Please keep the vibes/prayers coming. There seems to be some hope for what started as a desperate situation.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad to hear this great update!!!! Now a desperate situation is heading the opposite direction
. Keeping up the vibes

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a barn home lined up for two of the cats, so will try trapping tonight to get them to our spay/neuter clinic tomorrow. Our clinic director will transport the cats to their home home and is working with the owner of the farm on proper relocation procedures. 

Meanwhile, two others have become increasingly friendly with me - a brown tabby/white male and Siamese mix female (I think). Still hoping space opens up at the rescue or that I can foster one of them. These two have the potential to be very adoptable. 

Please keep the vibes/prayers coming. Things are coming together for the cats, but we still have a ways to go. Thanks!

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: for this great news on some of these kitties!!! :D :D So glad things are working out. With your efforts, how could they not :hugs::hugs:. And many more vibes coming your way

(we don't have vibes anymore so I will just type them out :lol3:)

Vibes Vibes Vibes Vibes Vibes Vibes Vibes