Sad cat

archiegoodcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it okay for your cat to look sad and sleep alot? Ia am worried about my 8 year old cat archie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

archiegoodcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it bad if ur cat haven't gone to the vet in 6 years

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

archiegoodcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We always thought that he was a healthy cat then I went away for 10 days when I came back he started looking really sad

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It might be time to see the vet, just to get a check up. 7 years a long time in my opinion. I'm a new cat owner but from my observations and my own opinion, I think one check up every year is best. 

Were there other factors that might have contributed to your cat's change in behaviour? 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I agree you should take your kitty to the vet for a check up since it's been so long. My Polly was so hard to get into a carrier that I didn't take her for three years. By the time she went, she had serious dental issues that could have been avoided. I still feel guilty since she was probably in pain even though she appeared healthy.

Your kitty might be fine, however and be reacting to your absence. I had a cat who would snub me for hours after I returned from a few days' absence. Still, better to get a vet check up and make sure everything is ok. In the meantime, piling on the love and affection might help.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think vets are recommending that you take them twice a year when they get older. Since they age so much faster than we do, things can creep up that could be avoided or taken care of before they get bad.

abbybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Agreed. I took Bailey in for yearly check ups and it was my vet who first noticed that she had lost some weight. It wasn't a significant amount at the time, but because it hadn't happened before, we started looking into other things. It is often harder for us to notice gradual changes than it is for a trained professional, who has the previous numbers, test results, etc. to compare to.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree you should take your kitty to the vet for a check up since it's been so long. My Polly was so hard to get into a carrier that I didn't take her for three years. By the time she went, she had serious dental issues that could have been avoided. I still feel guilty since she was probably in pain even though she appeared healthy.

Your kitty might be fine, however and be reacting to your absence. I had a cat who would snub me for hours after I returned from a few days' absence. Still, better to get a vet check up and make sure everything is ok. In the meantime, piling on the love and affection might help.

Agreed. I took Bailey in for yearly check ups and it was my vet who first noticed that she had lost some weight. It wasn't a significant amount at the time, but because it hadn't happened before, we started looking into other things. It is often harder for us to notice gradual changes than it is for a trained professional, who has the previous numbers, test results, etc. to compare to.
These are all good points... to which I would add that cats are great at hiding their pain so if a cat is sleeping a lot and looking sad, there might really be something going on that should be checked. We had a similar situation as AbbyBaby when our previous cat lost weight and we didn't notice.

It's also really important to get annual rabies shots for a cat, even if it's a completely indoor cat. After a recent incident with a bat flying into our house and spending a few minutes alone in a room with one our cats before we figured out which way the bat had flown, I was very, very glad our cats were totally up-to-date on their shots. The bat turned out to be negative for rabies but you never know what might happen in these cases!