Saccharomyces Boulardii use for diarrhea and GI disease (incl IBD)

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, @DaisyRoo.  The Klaire Labs SB that I am using is NOT bitter, does not contain MOS, and says "Non-Dairy" and "Maltodextrin-Free" ~ the concentration is less than some of the others at 3+ billion CFUs (most of the others have 5 billion) but that just means you can give them more. 

cocomom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm researching S. Boulardii for my recently dx'd IBD kitty, Coco, and found this discussion.  Just thought I'd mention this (for kitties who don't want to eat it mixed in their food).  Transfer some into empty capsules (either #3 or #4) and place on top of food with some crushed treat on top and walk away. Even my pickiest, Maggie, has been taking her own probiotic this way for over a month.  Sometimes I have to keep replacing it on top of the food with another sprinkle of crushed treat, but eventually she'll eat it. It looks like she's chewing it, but hasn't bitten through it yet--it usually just slides right down.  She's my impossible to pill kitty, AND the pickiest.  She'd rather not eat than have stuff mixed into her meal.  And if you need the capsule taken without a meal, slightly moisten a finger and touch it to the capsule and drop it into some Fortiflora powder.  Enough will stick on it and give it a good flavor.  

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Crushed treats are always a good idea.  I have used it when trying to transition a dry food only cat over to wet food.  It worked.  As for hard to pill cats or fussy cats, my go-to way to get them to eat the boulardii (I have the kind WITHOUT the MOS and it doesn't taste bitter to me) is to put a dab of fresh bacon fat on a plate, mix the powder into that, then mix a teaspoon full of baby food into that and giveit to them.  They lick the plate clean very quickly.  I use this same technique for getting lactoferrin into another cat.

nicole bee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. New to this post and based in Brisbane, Australia. I have an 8 month old kitten who was diagnosed with Chlostridium via a poop test. He went on 3 courses of back to back antibiotics as each time I stopped, the loose bowel came back. I don't want to put my poor little baby on anymore medication right now, there has to be other options. He was fine with perfect poop for about 5 weeks after the last round of antibiotics, and now has done a 360 and has had loose bowel for 2 weeks. I'm ok with pilling him, as we've had plenty of practice. Syringing into his mouth tends to create a bit of stress and sometimes he runs off the toilet as soon as I have syringed him. I don't have easy or cheap access to many of the brands you are mentioning and would also like to get something already done up in tablet or capsule form. Would anyone be able to provide their thoughts on this one please: https://www.bioceuticals.com.au/product/preview/SB-Floractiv. ? I take bioceuticals myself as it's a pretty good brand. The vet doesn't really have an answer for me so am taking this into my own hands. He is eating Royal Canin chicken and rice (wet) just for now to try and get him to settle and Black Hawk seafood and rice (kibble). Prior to the RC chicken and rice, I had him on Holistic Select (premium, natural brand with all the right vitamins etc). He's been on Protexin probiotics for nearly two months now. He is active, affectionate, drinking well and putting on weight like a healthy kitten. But he just can't stop with the loose bowels. Feeling really frustrated and helpless so appreciate your help!