Ruthie - FIP?

molly a

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone. This is my first day here - I found this site while looking for information on FIP. I lost my sweet Ruthie, only 16 months old, last night to what my vet believes to be FIP. She was sweet and adorable and affectionate, and she will be greatly missed, not only by me and my fiance, but also by her feline companion Owen. I have had Owen for over 5 years and he is by all appearances a beautifully happy and healthy cat. He is being tested today for all communicable diseases, but I have read that healthy cats who may be carriers for the FIP virus will not test positive for FIP until they develop symptoms. I'm concerned because I want Owen to have feline companionship, but if he carries this disease I cannot possibly consider infecting another cat. Putting my sick baby to sleep last night was one of the worst experiences of my life. Does anyone know anything about this terrible disease? Is it safe to get another cat if Owen is negative? Thank you for any help you can give! Reading your words of encouragement to each other in times of loss has already helped me cope with this loss.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your baby Ruthie. At least she knew your love in her short life. As hard as it is, at least be comforted by all the joy that she brought to your life, and you brought to her life.

I don't know anything about FIP, but I know that other members here do. You may want to post your questions about Owen in the Health and Nutrition forum where it will probably get more answers. I know that some people here can't come into this forum without crying for others' losses. (There's a lot of us who come to TCS at work, so we can't be crying there.)

Sending you hugs across the miles...

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about your loss of Ruthie,
she sounds like she was very wonderful and will be greatly missed. I don't know anything about FIP either, sorry. I do know that there are some very knowledgeable people here who can help you with your questions. My thoughts are with you at this sad time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

molly a

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone - thanks so much for your help. My Owen came back with a clean bill of health today - negative for both leukemia and FIP. They have to test again in 3 to 4 months just to be safe, but it looks good! Just wanted to share the good news.

debra myers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Molly - that is indeed good news! I am so thankful that Owen appears to be healthy! Keep us posted!

ljb_rms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 10 house cats and 3 barn cats. Recently one of the house cats was bitten by another, and developed a nasty infection. With lots of care and love, she is fully recovered, and now spends most of her time in the best room of the house, doors closed. That's quite fine with her though...she hates cats and really prefers the company of a dog. It's true! Anyway, when she was injured our vet ran some blood work, which came back with a positive titer for Corona Virus, the suspected causal agent in FIP. As I understand it though, a positive titer simply means that at some time in their life, the cat was exposed to the virus and developed antibodies. It does NOT mean that the cat will develop full blown FIP. There are several tests, including the Eliza test, however apparently none of them are 100% accurate. I have also been told that any cat who has been an outdoor cat, or the offspring of an outdoor cat, has probably been exposed to Corona virus. Basically, the precautions you can take to prevent the spread of the virus are to wash your hands after handling any outdoor cats and not bring new cats with any risk factors into your house. For us, with a family of 10, plus the dog, already in the house, that is the sanest thing we can do. 10 is definitely enough! Our 10 are all rescues of one sort or another, so we have to accept that we don't know what they may have been exposed to before they came to live with us. I'm so sorry about your furbabie...I lost my precious Ashkin nearly 2 years ago; she was my first cat and will never be replaced. I know how terribly painful it is when they leave us. Good luck to you and Owen!

tennessee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to here about Ruthie
and I am glad that Owen got a clean bill of health
. I lost my buddy Garfield in Febuary to FIP, he was five years old. He was a great big orange fat cat that stole my heart and I still miss him terribly. But before he passed he brought a little black and white kitten to the house and groomed him to come inside to take care of daddy. Some people think I am just imagining this but, Tippy will not mark or scratch anywhere that Garfield did and he will crawl up in my lap before I leave for work every night the same way that Garfield did. I know in my heart that Garfield sat him down and gave him a talk about his family and how Tippy was to take his place. These little balls of fur come into our lives and change them forever, thank God that I am one of these lucky people. For Garfield and Ruthie:angel2: :angel2:

debra myers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
George - that is a wonderful story about Tippy and how he came into your life. I agree that your buddy Garfield groomed him for you - telling him what you liked and not and what the rules are!
Thank you for sharing that with us.
Deb

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry to hear about Ruthie, but also glad that Owen does not have it. My thoughts are with you during this hard time.

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sidney the kid, You can be sure that many of us will be sending positive thoughts across the sea for Sidney. I know this is a very stressful time for you. Here's hoping!!-==with all fingers crossed.

mollya, Thank goodness you got good news about Owen. You have been through enough with losing Ruthie. You will always have memories of a wonderful relationship with a much loved pet. God bless you.

debra myers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any news on Sydney's test yet? I am sending good thoughts your way and everyone here has their paws crossed!