Russian Blue

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Ha ha, I love his chosen viewing material.  
  It even looks like he's got paw-control of the mouse pad there. Eeek!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I'm beginning to wonder if Binx might actually be some kind of pet-quality Chartreux, though the odds are even slimmer than him being a pure RB. His fur is much denser and longer than a typical RB, but not long enough to be a Nebelung, and his eyes shift from green to gold depending on where you're looking at them from!

Either way, I love his silly fluffy butt

Anyone have any ideas? I don't think I can afford to shell out for genetic testing, lol...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

That smiling expression is most typical for american type  RB.  Males of Scandinavian type are supposed to look mean and cruel.  Which is essentially caused by a little fold above their eyes.  They are very kind fellows.

This with an angry look is a point in the Fanzine in the Harry Potter - Hogwart wordl "A Malfoy in Hufflepuff".  Hey, I must translate it someday, and republish here on TCS.   :)
Said and done!   Please look here:   http://www.thecatsite.com/t/297288/hogwards-fanzine-a-malfoy-in-hufflepuff

@MServant @Raksha   @MDaisy   @Mani

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
^_^ thanks, @StefanZ   that's quite an adorable tale you have started, there!

For everyone else, I suppose the biggest reason I'm trying to get a bead on what Binx is (mostly) is for pet insurance purposes... They require a breed, and "maltese" wasn't listed on their breed list. I'm going to go back and look again, but short of genetic testing... meh.

I love my sweet little Captain Puffypants (Binx). He probably hates me for that nickname 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

^_^ thanks, @StefanZ   that's quite an adorable tale you have started, there!

For everyone else, I suppose the biggest reason I'm trying to get a bead on what Binx is (mostly) is for pet insurance purposes... They require a breed, and "maltese" wasn't listed on their breed list. I'm going to go back and look again, but short of genetic testing... meh.

I love my sweet little Captain Puffypants (Binx). He probably hates me for that nickname 
Dont they do have a label "domestic"?    Also, I would guess the rate for domestics is lower than for purebreds.   As getting a new purebred is usully much pricey than for a domestic, so they must count with this when they decide the interest rate.   By the same reason, there is usually no or very low insurance for dead domestics, while it can be quite substantial for purebreds.

The return of costs for vet care is usually roughly the same, its the death refound where the big diff is.

Tx for the praise of my little short novel!

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@StefanZ   You're probably right, but I have this "honest to a fault" problem. Since I adopted him and he was labeled Russian Blue by the association, I used that on my application. A nurse (vet tech?) at the clinic where I take Binx recognized him as a RB, because she'd had several... so I felt compelled to list him as an RB, based off of both the vet tech and organization's opinions.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

@StefanZ   You're probably right, but I have this "honest to a fault" problem. Since I adopted him and he was labeled Russian Blue by the association, I used that on my application. A nurse (vet tech?) at the clinic where I take Binx recognized him as a RB, because she'd had several... so I felt compelled to list him as an RB, based off of both the vet tech and organization's opinions.

With the association you mean the shelter?

Anyways without papers he is always technically a domestic, even if he is a nice look alike.   I myself choose to believe he is a pet quality RB.  In some poses he has the looks.

So  driwing a point he is really a RB you do only if there are advantages in it for you.   For example, if there is a better price for RB - "Just this week extra rebattes for RB!"

Or you wish to belong to the RB club...

You decide yourself of course,  but Im rather sure from the insurance point of few, it doesnt matter. Its also no dishonesty trying to get a cheaper insurance although you do have a RB...

And its noy yourself not giivng him the very best you can give him.  The self fact you are taking insurance on him  places you and your care for him, above the average.

Here in Sweden its common to have insurances for our cats, even domestics. But as I understand it, in USA its  rather rare to take insurance on domestics. Very few of our forumites in P&K mention they had help from insurance, although they all per definition have big use of vets services.

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The association was the Texas Exotic Cat Rescue. He was rescued (no mention of shelter or feral status) and then fostered, and during his fostering they identified him as a Russian Blue. He does have the looks of an RB (albeit, a fat one because he has "exceptional appetite", as some judges would say, hahaha!), especially when he's all stretched out. or moving about. He also has that "angry/mean" look you've mentioned before, unless his eyes are wide open, then they're more round.

Insurance here is pretty regulated, and while I could probably get away with calling him a domestic, since I've already registered him as an RB... well, I'd be concerned about suspicion, on the company's part.

I'm thankful for your opinion on his "pedigree" :) he's just a bit tubbier. I'm working on that, despite his complaints ("But Mom, there's usually more of this in the dish!").

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with StefanZ, I think the benefit here would be to the insurance company:  they would take higher premiums from you every month but the payouts you would get for any health issues would be the same as any other cat.  I doubt they would pay you a higher amount for the loss of your cat based on a pedigree value unless you had some paperwork such as the purchase contract documents and pedigree certificate.  (Believe me, I pay several £ more each month for Mouse than I did for my previous tabby even once she was passed 18 years of age and her premium had risen).

Blue domestic shorthair is most likely to be the best description for Binx that the insurance company would have listed.   Maltese is a less specific label as it covers cats who are mostly gray and can have white fur in small patches, and can also be short, medium or long haired.

Ha ha, StefanZ, so are you a Harry Potter fan?   I confess to listening to the audio books on a regular basis and know the stories well. 
   I forgot there was a blue cat in there, how terrible of me!   

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, the good news is that I can cancel my insurance at any time without penalty (since I paid a year up front, to be on the safe [and cheaper] side).

Once I've gotten all of Binx's medical/flea/god-knows-what-else under control, I intend to cancel with my current insurance provider, and start pet insurance with my own insurance provider (I didn't even know USAA offered pet insurance till after I'd registered for the first group). Then I can register Binx as a domestic blue... the only issue is the itemized billing. I'll have to talk to my vet about changing his details.

I may have lost this battle to the insurance people (due to my own ignorance), but I won't lose the war!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I would have thought if you explained that the Russian Blue was a description from a cat shelter and no other source the company should accept a change?  Chatting with your vet is a good idea.

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is the US. Nothing is ever simple, especially with insurance 

I have a good relationship with the insurance company I intend to switch to, so I imagine I'll have a lower premium, regardless. Anything for my little Binx. Plus, I have the best, most helpful parents in the world. Mom calls Binx her 'grandkitty', and spoils him as such, since none of her actual kids have chosen to procreate just yet 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure the premium will be less if he's listed as a domestic vs a purebred RB. American pet insurance is purely for vet care, no life insurance benefits. And while I'm sure some breeds will have higher premiums based on genetic health problems common in the breed, RBs are generally pretty healthy so I doubt there will be any difference, if there is it's probably quite small. If you don't want to call their customer service, just try running a quote on their website for a domestic and see if it's any different.

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Point taken @Willowy... but I'll pay anything for my RB/Maltese sweetie to stay healthy (well... as much as I can afford to).