Russian Blue Kitten Help Please

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He could be a purebreed from two cats that had papers but were supposed to be spayed/neutered NOT BREED... NO GOOD BREEDER will sell to a pet store ... Some pet stores will give papers but the ones I have seen are not from RESPECTED registrys rather most are from registrys that allow anyone to register anything... Ie on one i registered my very non pedigreeed betta .... Pet stores are BUYER BEWARE when they sell animals

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

He could be a purebreed from two cats that had papers but were supposed to be spayed/neutered NOT BREED... NO GOOD BREEDER will sell to a pet store ... Some pet stores will give papers but the ones I have seen are not from RESPECTED registrys rather most are from registrys that allow anyone to register anything... Ie on one i registered my very non pedigreeed betta .... Pet stores are BUYER BEWARE when they sell animals
I see. I have been discussing this info with my wife aminly coz of the amount of $ we paid for him, but she assures me that he is 100% PB. Breeders do sell to petstores as there are a limited amount of breeders over here and they are not located in handy areas. She also said that when she was asking if he is a genuine PB, the petshop guy said that even if the blood was 99.9% pure they could not advertise him as a PB. Perhaps the Japanese pet culture is a little different? although their petshops are the same as in any other country.

Ok so I wont breed him, will just try find a vet who will fix him sooner, vets aren't located as close to each other like some countries. I am happy with Diego anyway coz he looks like an RB and his personality matches what I read when I was younger.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Japan could be different ... see in Europe many countries BAN selling animals at pet stores ...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO no matter what country you are in, a GOOD CARING breeder will not put any of their cats in a pet shop where they do not know who has their cats, and the simple fact they cannot control someone breeding their cats.

You probably have a purebred RB, but he's not top quality - he's pet quality and should not be bred. Pet shops charge far more then they should for a "purebred" anything. I've personally seen a persian kitten in a pet shop advertised for $450 at the time - and I would not give you $50 for the kitten because it was obviously very pet quality. The pet shop doesn't care if you breed or not - its not their reputation.

And most pet shop cats/dogs are gotten from backyard breeders (who should NOT be breeding) or puppy/kitten mills. Both sources are poor quality purebreds with genetic problems.

You could register the kitten with an association where you live, and show it; however you probably would not get very far, and the judges would tell you the kitten is not show quality. I'm glad you will neuter him - bottom line is that its the best decision you will make considering where you got him and not really knowing the background/genetic problems he may be carrying

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the cat is from a pet shop, he is not show or breeding quality. My last set of foster kittens were all spayed and neutered at 8 weeks, and did just fine. I know you don't live in America, but I'm sure there is someone who will neuter him, but make sure they are a qualified vet. If you feel uncomfortable, it's ok to wait until a qualified vet will do it, but make sure that you keep him inside at ALL times.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You could register the kitten with an association where you live, and show it; however you probably would not get very far, and the judges would tell you the kitten is not show quality.
Right. I agree with all you said, but here some comments:

Many. perhaps even most participants in the cat shows dont do it in the hoping of winning. They do it for the fun of it. They are quite happy when their cat get his Excellent (as they usually do!) and get throught all this alive and happy. Later on when the cat is grown up - they of course hope for marks in the championship title, but still - no expectation on overall winning.

Let me take us as example. Our older male RB was (is) really fine. Several of the leading swedish breeders appreciated him, and talked about lending him as Sire with their females. But he was/is the shy russian blue. And dont like to be carried either. He didnt minded to be in the cage though. So he did participated, and often get very positive opinions, but of course had no chance to get to the finales. He was too afraid to make a show of himself.
We were happy he managed to participate never freaking out. And he get his Champion title after a while. So his offspring has the pleasure to be Sired by a Champion...

Thus. There may be good reasons to participate with a cat who isnt of show quality. He wont win, but as long you as owner do understand this, you can have much fun there!
Especielly if your cat do stands the millieu.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how is your little one now?
also i had a fully intaked stray male who i took in he is about 3 years old , and use to spray EVERYWERE in the garden, as soon as he was neutered the spraying complety stoped, he does still get an urge to mount a female when in heat, but he cant get her pregnant.( this was when anne went into heat when her kittens were 7 weeks old) they was seprated once i relised and then she was spayed 2 days later. so not every cat that has started spraying will contuine to once neutered. but sometimes a male who was neutered a bit later their urine might still smell a bit strong, but that is about it. i also took on a 11 year old cat after his owners died, we had him neutered and never has he sprayed.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear your kitty is unwell - sending healing vibest to him

Originally Posted by DIEGO

My breeding statement was purely if Diego starts spraying before he is neutered IE 8 months old. In my experience they start spraying just after 6 months, after they start spraying and you get them fixed it doesn't stop.
That's not true. Sometimes when cats are neutered later in life and spraying has become a habit, they may not stop. But many do and if you get him done at about 8 months it's very unlikely he'll continue to spray (assuming he has started by then which he may not have). Whatever the situation, neutering him will only make him happier, less prone to wandering and fighting and more affectionate, regardless of how old he is. So please don't hesitate to neuter him even if you can't do it as soon as you'd like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Diego seems to be doing well, no more green oozing eyes, sneezing isn't very often now so I think he's ok.
He's still so full of energy and he's anxious to play with Neko again, but theres still about 4 days of meds and quarantine to go.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We are supposed to be getting all his paper work in the next day or two, that says he's pure bred etc. Wouldnt his parentage be detailed in that?

To Bonnie1965, Unfortunately its the vets choice because they say its far too difficult to neuter them when their bits are too small. What can ya do eh?
what can a do? while diego is in quarantine, find another vet that is more up-to-date with current practices. Stoli was neutered at 6 months, but not because he was 6 months - it was because he weighed 5 pounds. Some vets go by weight.....

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Unless the cat is shown and is of TOP quality for the breed - he/she should be neutered/spayed. There is no real way of finding out if the papers are legit or not.

PLEASE have him neutered. Breeding males will spray and have to be confined in a cage. Your male will be happier as a neuter and so will you

And the only reason you should be breeding is to improve the breed - NOT because you have a purebred cat. Not every purebred cat has the quality to be a breeding cat.
thank you golden kitty, i couldn't have said it better. please please please do not think of breeding your kitty. there are so many cats in shelters without homes, your kitty used to be one - why contribute to the population just because he's a russian blue? He is a purebreed, but not show quality - which is why you shouldn't breed him.

My breeding statement was purely if Diego starts spraying before he is neutered IE 8 months old. In my experience they start spraying just after 6 months, after they start spraying and you get them fixed it doesn't stop.

When you say shown, do you mean in a cat show? for its breed, wether the papers are legit or not is there a way of finding out if the cat is top quality? or am I just repeating the same question? or does the fact he's from a petshop make him just a regular moggy even if he is meant to be or is a pure breed?

Thanks for your help
You could probably call TICA etc etc a reputable registry and get more information there. 'papers' do not make a pet top quality. Stoli has papers, but isn't a show quality cat. he is pet quality - i mean i could show him with the breeders permission, but he doesn't meet all the requirements for the breed standard. He is not a moggy, but isn't a show quality RB, just a pet RB.

Originally Posted by urbantigers

Sorry to hear your kitty is unwell - sending healing vibest to him

That's not true. Sometimes when cats are neutered later in life and spraying has become a habit, they may not stop. But many do and if you get him done at about 8 months it's very unlikely he'll continue to spray (assuming he has started by then which he may not have). Whatever the situation, neutering him will only make him happier, less prone to wandering and fighting and more affectionate, regardless of how old he is. So please don't hesitate to neuter him even if you can't do it as soon as you'd like.
As long as all traces of spraying are removed with enzymatic cleaner a cat who used to spray will usually STOP spraying. It is no reason to get rid of a cat or put them to sleep. It is totally fixable. Diego will definitely be a lovey, happy cat once he's neutered. If you think he's that now, just wait until you neuter him........he'll be all over you!

Glad he's doing better, this exact thing happend to Stoli when we got him too. it cleared right up with the meds.