Russian blue, Chartreux??

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Clare89... welcome to TCS!

I'm sure you know that unless cats are from a registered breeder, they're domestics.  Having said that, the pussycat in the top photo has a strong Russian look.  I read your other post, about the boy being timid.  Which is which in the photos here?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Russian Blues are a natural breed - they have been selected from the street cats of a particular place.  Although that place is no-where near where you live, similar-looking cats continue to pop up in our domestics, and I'm sure that is what she is.

Also RBs are a rare breed - the other one you mention, Chartreuse, is vanishingly rare.

Mention is sometimes made of 'pet quality' cats.  I've seem plenty of pet quality cats in a few breeds (I own a couple of pet quality cats), and there is still no doubt what breed they are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

claire89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi mani, thank you =) the timid 1 is in the top photo.

Faecat13 you kitty is so cute! Yes my cats eyes are the exact same shape but their eyes are a golden colour =)

Thanks orientalslave, you've been very helpful, princesses son actually looks more full breed than she does haha, maybe along the way they have 1 of their genetics in them. I'm happy they're my little domestic kitty's =)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
the timid 1 is in the top photo.

Faecat13 you kitty is so cute! Yes my cats eyes are the exact same shape but their eyes are a golden colour =)

Thanks orientalslave, you've been very helpful, princesses son actually looks more full breed than she does haha, maybe along the way they have 1 of their genetics in them. I'm happy they're my little domestic kitty's =)
Quite a few RB are shy to visitors.  My oldest resident (ex RB stud) likewise runs upwards and hide as soon a visitor comes (he wasnt quite as shy as young).  Although he comes forward when they left. Sometimes even when they are still here.  But he isnt scared by the New Year fireworks or such... While other RB I know are more sociale, some are quite friendly to visitors.

Your two have some RB-ish look in the face, and silvertipped, but the overall impression is not very RB: RB are atletic build, but longlegged, slender and elegant. Unless they do have "excellent appetite"  :)

And of course, no golden eyes, they shall be deep green, or at the very least, greenish in the pet quality ones.

They dont look like Korates either.

As you yourself say, they are your little domestic kitties.   :)

Be happy!

claire89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Prince is quite an athletic looking and cat and very long legs

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Quite a few RB are shy to visitors.  My oldest resident (ex RB stud) likewise runs upwards and hide as soon a visitor comes (he wasnt quite as shy as young).  Although he comes forward when they left. Sometimes even when they are still here.  But he isnt scared by the New Year fireworks or such... While other RB I know are more sociale, some are quite friendly to visitors.

Your two have some RB-ish look in the face, and silvertipped, but the overall impression is not very RB: RB are atletic build, but longlegged, slender and elegant. Unless they do have "excellent appetite"  :)

And of course, no golden eyes, they shall be deep green, or at the very least, greenish in the pet quality ones.

As you yourself say, they are your little domestic kitties.   :)

Be happy!
Yes, I thought that too, StefanZ.  Russians need coaxing sometimes to be more sociable, and usually really bond with one person.  I lead a very quiet life, so I make sure that any visitors (who love cats) interact with them. It's not a bad idea for any timid cat.

Perhaps, Claire 89, you could make sure your boy has gentle interactions with people... if he's around and OK, ask them to use a dangly toy or something he loves so that he'll realise other people can be fun?
It all needs to be done gently and carefully over time.

claire89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He won't come by anybody he just hides away =(

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give him time. Just spend time nearby, bring him food, talk to him. Make sure he knows you are a calm and gentle person to be with, and sooner or later, he will get curious about that big, funny-looking creature that keeps giving him food, and poke his nose out! Many shy or half-feral cats find it less intimidating to interact with you at arm's length, like if you use a kitty teaser type toy, the kind that looks like a fishing rod so you can dangle a toy for them to bat at. Just be patient and sooner or later he will come up and nudge you with his head, and then you know he's decided you're a friend!

claire89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's ok with me callista, it's just when friends come over he's so petrified =( like right now for example I've just had the plumber come and he's upstairs under the duvet so scared and won't come out even now the plumber has left. He just panics and I feel so sad that he gets so scared.

claire89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahh thanks Melesine =) I've just had a look and I still can't figure out which 1 they resemble the most haha.
This is princess who I think maybe resembles korat?
And this is prince her son who maybe resembles chartreux
I think they're faces are quite different considering they're mother and son =)