Ruptured Anal Sac needs stitches?

adavis12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have seen a few other posts on here regarding ruptured anal sac in their babies but I can't locate any information on follow up and healing time. My kitty suffered a rupture two weeks ago and at our recent vet visit we were told that she would now need stitches to close the wound (she has not had the sac removed it was just a rupture) It seems everyone is saying this is not standard practice for rupture and that eventually it will heal on its own. I just don't want her to endure more sedation and pain if not necessary and just wonder if anyone else out there had a similar situation where several weeks later they were told their kitty needed stitches for this? If not then any input on how long it took for your baby to heal would be greatly appreciated!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no experience with this, but hopefully someone will be along soon to help you.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know anything about a ruptured anal sac but I know abscesses aren't stitched.  They actually want them to remain open so they heal from the inside out.  Sometimes it's necessary to put a drain in if they start to close over while there is still infection present.  Maybe a ruptured anal gland is different though.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats had a ruptured anal gland (It was a surprise when it happened as I didn't know anything about it then and am bing more proactive now having them expressed every 4 months) and she didn't need stitched as they healed up fine after antibiotics and making sure she didn't use any type of clay litter till  it healed.

Healing time will vary on the cat and how attentive you are on making sure the area stays as clean as possible. It took her a2-3 weeks (as she was less then a year old) for the site to heal up real well. Could take a little longer.

Not sure if that helps or not.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat had a ruptured anal gland (from my research, that is the same thing as an anal sac), and no one ever mentioned stitches.  She actually healed over within a week, but she was on a raw diet, so I attributed her quick recovery to that

Have you been giving your furkid antibiotics, applying warm compresses and  ointment?  That was also part of our regimen.  Callie's abscess started out about the size of a quarter., if that's of any help to you.