Rupert, the Gargoyle

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rupert is gorgeous! I would love to get one (or few) of those. I bet it would look very odd in my balcony but who cares.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I so thank you for that link!! I ordered a fairy for my garden next year

The shipping is VERY reasonable for the weight.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Rupert hes very neat looking. I like gargoyles but Bf would probably knock me out if I said I wanted to put some in the yard. Maybe Ill be able to find some mini ones to put on each side of me new window.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I love Agnes! Did you guys make her? If so, you did a great job! Fiona is adorable.

SwampWitch, what a neat place to put a gargoyle! I like that! I'd be interested to know how in the world they got him into that corner....especially if he's really heavy.

I love that fairy, Zohdee! Good job! And Rhiannon the Archer will be a beautiful addition, too.

There are a couple of gargoyles and dragons I'd like to buy from Toscano yet. DH would like to get the dragon mailbox, but he's afraid that, having to put it down by the road, kids might either try to take it or destroy it. I told him that, if he really wants it, we could put it in one of the landscaped triangles around the pool where it would be safer. He's not sure.

I'm so glad you all like Rupert! I think the boy is just awesome! (Although I already heard from one of our neighbors who is rather religious and tried to read me the riot act about having a "demon" in our front yard.)

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Agnes! Did you guys make her? If so, you did a great job! Fiona is adorable.
We (actually DH) got Agnes at a store called K's Merchandise. They went out of business years ago. Her tag listed her as "Agnes, the Cat Gargoyle". Can't remember where we got Fiona; I wish you could see the expression on her face. It's almost as if she's looking at Agnes with love in her eyes!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rupert looks amazing! I'm sure he'll guard your house well for many years to come.

SwampWitch, I love that house! How cool to integrate a gargoyle into the design.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

(Although I already heard from one of our neighbors who is rather religious and tried to read me the riot act about having a "demon" in our front yard.)
You have to be joking...wow.

Wonder what they would think on my Pan statute in the front yard

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zohdee

You have to be joking...wow.

Wonder what they would think on my Pan statute in the front yard
Unfortunately, I am not joking.....alas, it takes all kinds of idiots, I guess. Suffice it to say that one of our neighbors came over last night to see if I knew what we put in the yard. I said, yep, it was a gargoyle and his name was Rupert. Well, he wasn't real happy about it, couldn't believe I would do that, etc. He wasn't going to say anything when he saw DH putting Apex up on the arbor, but when he saw Rupert, he felt that he had to talk to me. And then I pretty much told him that if it bothered him that much, he didn't have to look at it. And I went into the house. (Apex is pretty hard to see from his yard, too, so I don't know how he noticed him.)

My best friend (who is a Pentecostal pastor) also emailed me about Rupert when I sent him pictures, said that I shouldn't have him on the property. The concept of gargoyles supposedly came from demons. I said, "Oh well" and left it go at that.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

Unfortunately, I am not joking.....alas, it takes all kinds of idiots, I guess. Suffice it to say that one of our neighbors came over last night to see if I knew what we put in the yard. I said, yep, it was a gargoyle and his name was Rupert. Well, he wasn't real happy about it, couldn't believe I would do that, etc. He wasn't going to say anything when he saw DH putting Apex up on the arbor, but when he saw Rupert, he felt that he had to talk to me. And then I pretty much told him that if it bothered him that much, he didn't have to look at it. And I went into the house. (Apex is pretty hard to see from his yard, too, so I don't know how he noticed him.)

My best friend (who is a Pentecostal pastor) also emailed me about Rupert when I sent him pictures, said that I shouldn't have him on the property. The concept of gargoyles supposedly came from demons. I said, "Oh well" and left it go at that.
I am Christian, but I think he's pretty. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm trying to turn this into an IMO thread, but I thought gargoyles were originally believed to ward off evil?

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If Apex is a demon, then you are going to have one glorious ride to h***

Sorry if that offended anyone but I just don't understand some people.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zohdee

If Apex is a demon, then you are going to have one glorious ride to h***
I love that!

It will be OK....we're fairly good friends with all of our neighbors and he honestly felt that he had to talk to me about it (and the fact that we are friends probably made him feel that he had a right to his opinion....and he does). And that's fine. I didn't get nasty or anything. I just told him that if they bothered him that much, he didn't have to look at them and went into the house.

I know that there are gargoyles on some churches and cathedrals, so I never thought about demons at all. And yes, I always thought that they warded off evil and protected the properties they "lived" on.