Runt question

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi was wondering something I had to hand rear my cat when she was a kitten with a kitten milk replacer . And well my vet told me I needed to get her on solid food . Which I did but it got me curious if I would have keep feeding her the milk replacer ? Would that have change anything about her size lol just wondering . Not mad that’s she’s small it just I was never prepared for this to happen . Also she was with her mom she had a hard time feeding since the others would push her out the way . So I took her to save her life and tried to feed her the milk but after a few days . She no longer wanted it and just ate the wet food . So just curious was her growth already stunted before I got her or was her growth stunted was somewhat my fault for not giving her the milk replacement

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no, You did nothing wrong, if she wanted wet food, there is nothing wrong with that. She must have already been weaned. in my experience, most cats who are pushed away when tiny are weaker, the runt of the litter and are always smaller. Possibly because of nutrional deficiency, but most likely because of genetics. I have had several cats that were hand reared that were normal in size, but not too many, it seems once a runt, always a runt!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you , for a while I started feeling like it was my fault . Cause her mom would carry her away from the litter to another room . And she would barely ever interact with her litter mates . Mostly stay to herself in a corner , then I started trying to get her to eat and suck off her mom . When I was around and she little by little would interact with me . I didn’t even notice anything til I saw the others growimg bigger then her lol she was eatting a little wet food at 4 weeks lol got a question why is she so attach to me ? Also did the runt you had ever had any major health issues ?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They tend to be very attached to whoever raised them My little female I have now, She was handraised after her mother was killed and the only survivor, is VERY clingy and affectionate, teh only femalke I have had that way. She has leukemia but most likely contracted thatt when she was an outside cat. she is ten years old now! She ahs bouts of asthma or allergies too, and gets Zertec and CBD oil every day. but really no more problems then any cat.

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I didn’t know that lol that would explain a lot about her lol the funny thing is with her , is that most people can’t understand how she can be so behaved in stores lol and how she will just sit on my shoulder and relax while I walk through the isles lol I’m really am surpised she actually made it she’s a strong lil girl .also I was wondering why hasn’t ever tried to mark the walls before ? Jw cause I heard stories about how females will mark . But she has never marked any of the walls

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah she is now I actually just got her spay like two weeks ago . But she been in heat a few times in the past . She never tries to escape even when she was in heat . I never understood that cat sometimes lol

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I know that much lmao but the odd thing is and was that her heat cycles only ever lasted a painful week lol also how is make worse and another question since she is now spayed . Will male cats still be drawn to her and also before she was fix I used to take her . Outside on her harness and let her walk . And the males would always come but they would always kept there distance . Is that because I was around her ? That they didn’t try and mount her ?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boy, that is REALLY a nice cat! I had a male that was neutered and sprayed when we moved, he did finally quit, but what a mess. Thanks for coming here and keep on posting, we enjoy hearing about other people's cats! Thank you dearly for having her spayed too, she will have a much better life! Yes, i'm sure you scared tehm off! Cats are evry curious too, you may haev them still come sround just to check her out!

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome she just iffy with strangers coming in her home lol she will chase you out lol but In public she’s fine with meeting new ppl . That I don’t understand also when can I remove her cone it driving me nuts

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never used a cone with at least 20 cats being spayed, they have all been fine! Just watch her so she doesn't tear at it. Licking is fine, if it is excessive, distract her with treats or a toy.

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice , she is ocd about licking and I’m worried if I did take it off she could injury her incision with her licking

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s a year old now and I’ve notice since she was little she had a habit of licking my side of my beds box spring . And she hasn’t done it in a while now both sides are bad . I though it could be apica

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you very much , yeah it been a while lol maybe a few months after I turned my bed around . Cause it started looking bad lol and never understood why she ever did it lol it wasn’t like I encouraged that behavior .

also one other thing as her hormone levels come down and settle . Will she become less attach and clingy or ? Is that something to due with her bond she has with me ?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats usually settle down when they are spayed but that often refers to hyper or destructive behaviors. She may become more relaxed, and therefore less clingy, but she also may just be very attached to you.

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks , I just curious lol but I’ve notice she still loves sitting on my shoulder lmao but she’s a good girl , she’s not destructive which surprised me cause I’ve always figured . Even kittens can be a little naughty at times but she for most part is good . I do hope she does relax more and gets less clingy lol I’ll say one thing I do missed . Was when she would wake me up in the morning lol it was always so cute how she did it lol she would head bump me and rub herself against me til I woke up . Now she doesn’t do it lol

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You did hand rear her as a runt, so she sees you as her mom and this could stay a somewhat different relationship than another cat. She really just sounds like she is very attached to you.

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Darn it , I thought so but was hoping it was all in my head lol she used to try and talk to me when she was little lol I miss her as a kitten lol I remember I used to be able to fit her in my hood and pull it over my head lol and walk around with her like that lol was curious if I ever got another cat for her ? Would she be territory ? Since she’s spayed idk just kinda wondering I’m hoping I’ll be able to get another one . One day not for me but for her that way maybe she will be less attach you know . Just want her to happy . She gave me a gift that was her being born and surviving . She got me through a lot and helped me a lot . Whenever I would feel sad or depressed I could always count on her just to be there . Or to be her silly cat self she has a habit sometimes . Of lightly biting my ankle lol it’s her way of saying I wanna play lol and when she wants to be picked up she will stand up and dig her nails into my leg lol like she’s stretching . Til I pick her up and put her on my shoulder lol then she will be happy and stop lol thank god for small miracles .