Runt Of The Litter!

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I have a litter of seven (they will be eight on Sunday) week old kittens. There are six of them. One of the kittens is very small compared to his litter mates. He weighes between 15-16 oz while the other kittens are in the high twenties; one of the kittens (my biggest) weights 32 oz. He does play and run, but just not as much as the others . He also eats, but again, not as much as the other kittens. He just seems behind if that makes sense. He is sooooo sweet though! Way sweeter than the others. He is always siting with me or climbs on my shoulders or sits in my lap too! He is just always with me!!! He has been reserved by a family and I want him to be fatter before he goes home around Christmas time. Any suggestions? Thank you!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is him compared to his brother. He is the smaller one on the left. Sorry about the writing on the picture, haha I wrote it on the pic to explain to my brother the difference in their color!
91B8BE5C-D134-4D8D-844D-93B66BF7112F.jpeg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you taken the kittens to the vet for their first checkup and vaccinations yet? If so, what does the vet think about the kitten's health? Sometimes a kitten that is significantly smaller than its littermates has health issues. It's also possible that it is simply a small kitten, but it would be good to have the vet examine it, listen to its heart and lungs, palpate its internal organs, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RejoiceErb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you taken the kittens to the vet for their first checkup and vaccinations yet? If so, what does the vet think about the kitten's health? Sometimes a kitten that is significantly smaller than its littermates has health issues. It's also possible that it is simply a small kitten, but it would be good to have the vet examine it, listen to its heart and lungs, palpate its internal organs, etc.
They will be getting their vaccinations next week. And they haven’t had a checkup yet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is usually a runt in every litter. The runt in my litter is now my biggest cat at about 15 pounds. However, he was smaller than the other kittens for a few months.

Kittens at eight weeks should weigh 2 pounds, 3 pounds at 3 months, and continue to gain a pound a month for the first 6-8 months.

What do you feed them? Do they get wet food several times a day, and have dry kitten chow available 24/7?

Kittens can have and need unlimited food during the first year as they are growing quickly. They need the nutrition.

Also keep in mind that female kittens tend to be smaller built than males, but regardless, kittens need to steadily gain.

Those two are precious! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goats milk is always an useful supplement. Even if biologically speaking milk no longer necessary.