Runt Kitten Weight

KittenHuffer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, all. On April 11 we welcomed 5 kittens into the world via a stray who came to our door and asked us for help the night before (yes, all will be spayed/ne. All (including Momma) have been on a regular dewormer (strongid) schedule (1cc once per week after initial). Momma was tested for the testable diseases and has a clean bill of health. None have evidencefleas of any kind.

All are healthy, active, alert, and developing wonderful little personalities. They all have healthy firm poops and are using their tiny litter box. They’re well into weaning (they eagerly scarf wet kitten food and have also started kitten kibble now they’ve got their molars). Momma’s nipples are also healthy. Momma also fusses at them to make them nurse still, so she’s not even trying to wean them too hard herself. She also gets quite put out when we block off the hallway and let them run around like maniacs (which they all enjoy immensely) and they don’t come when she tries to gather them, which tells me she’s not at all ready to let them leave the nest.

I think that covers all the common questions. LOL - suffice to say, ZERO items of even the slightest concern otherwise … BUT:

Our little runt has always been well behind her four brothers in terms of size/weight (and nothing else - she gives her brothers back every bit of sass they give her; she’s a tiny terrorist in fact). Tomorrow they’ll be six weeks old. Runt is only 630 grams while her brothers are 685, 690, 710, and 750. The gap between them has widened considerably.

Again, she’s otherwise keeping up. She scarfs the most wet food out of all of them. She only has a little pot belly when she’s just eaten. However, I’m concerned maybe she needs a little extra parasite care, given how hard she eats.

So what do you think? Cause for concern or are we a couple of over-worried cat grandpas?

P.S. – Would keeping the whole family and having 10 cats total be crazy? Asking for a friend… 🤣

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittenHuffer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Realizing this may need to be moved to the kitten care topic. 🙏

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Join the kitty club..lol
i use to have 13 cats (indoors) but lost a cute little 11 month old kitten two years ago. He was also the runt of the litter. Recently I just lost my oldest cat who was 19 years old. So I have 11 now..
I was told the “runt kitten’s” organs weren’t fully developed, i don’t know how true that was because he was full of life and then suddenly he didn’t want to eat, wasn’t interested in playing etc. They said he was bleeding internally but they couldn’t operate, he started having seizures and they said he wouldn’t survive the operation, He was suffering so I had to have him put to sleep…so if you can afford it I would if you haven’t already, have her checked by vet. Maybe I’m being paranoid but the loss of that kitten is and was so horrible to me.
Other than that, ENJOY your new little family!
By the way, all but one of my cats were born in our yard. They range from three years to six years with one other that is 14 years old. The two youngest ones were born to a feral cat, who I also was able to bring indoors and she is the most lovable cat. I kept her on our enclosed porch but it took four months
before she allowed me to even pet her and then several weeks later I was able to get her in the carrier and took her for all the shots needed before I let her inside with my other cats. she loves to be petted and head butts all the time

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would keeping the whole family and having 10 cats total be crazy?
Not at all but it depends on a couple things. If there is plenty of room and cat trees (so that everyone has a place to go for a break from the rest of the gang), time to play with them, feed them scheduled meals rather than just free-feeding dry food, and time enough to be able to notice what's going on healthwise with each one, and also enough money to feed decent food, get them all spayed and neutered along with wellness checks regularly and to purchase insurance (there are multi-cat discounts).

However, I’m concerned maybe she needs a little extra parasite care, given how hard she eats.
Have you had a chance to talk to the vet about her?

KittenHuffer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Join the kitty club..lol
i use to have 13 cats (indoors) but lost a cute little 11 month old kitten two years ago. He was also the runt of the litter. Recently I just lost my oldest cat who was 19 years old. So I have 11 now..
I was told the “runt kitten’s” organs weren’t fully developed, i don’t know how true that was because he was full of life and then suddenly he didn’t want to eat, wasn’t interested in playing etc.
That must have been devastating, I’m so sorry. I’m terrified of losing any of them for any reason, especially so young. We’re just absolutely in love with every one of them.

KittenHuffer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you had a chance to talk to the vet about her?
I’ve messaged her this evening. She’s usually good about replying or having someone call back.

As to a large clowder, the most I’ve had was 5 at once, but yes, we always made sure there was enough of everything (litter boxes, space, quality food,equal love and attention,health care, etc).

Could you refer me to multi-cat discount insurance that isn’t astronomical?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All of your kittens’ weights are just fine! The runt is only a teeny tiny bit behind (2 ounces) for 6 weeks. This is common for runts. She may be smaller than her brothers as an adult as well.

For that matter, you can start weighing in ounces and pounds now instead of grams. Kittens should weigh about 1 pound at one month, 2 pounds at 2 months, and so forth until they are grown.

It sounds like there is nothing wrong at all with your runt — she eats lots, burns it off, and goes for more. They are constantly growing as kittens, so sometimes they may look less pudgy as they grow. You really can’t overfeed kittens, and since their tummies are tiny, they need wet food 4-6 times a day right now, along with dry kitten chow for between meals.

Tell your “friend” that keeping everyone is not crazy at all. I think it’s wonderful! I myself took in a pregnant stray who had 4 kittens and I kept mom and all 4 kittens. The “kittens” are now 8 years old, and I have never regretted it for a moment. I still call them my kittens, even though the 3 males are huge. In fact, the runt is the biggest of them all and the one who also still causes the most “trouble.”

Since then, I’ve taken in 6 other cats, but over time (the last 2 years), I’ve lost 4 to old age, kidney failure, etc., so I’m down to “just” 7 cats now. It’s still a house full but it works beautifully, and everyone gets what they need.

We’d love to see pictures of yours! Thanks for taking mom in and giving everyone a fantastic home!

KittenHuffer KittenHuffer

KittenHuffer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update

Hello, all! Sorry for the delayed response. It's been a busy few days. It turns out Momma had the very beginnings of mastitis. Not really to do with the runt's weight, but the vet is not concerned with the weight at all. We caught Momma's mastitis at very early stages and she's got antibiotics and pain meds. The kittens are all far enough in weaning that the vet has said we could just stop letting them nurse.

Thanks also for the insurance reference. I've been looking into it. In the meantime, here are a few pics as requested.

IMG_0959.jpeg
IMG_0892.jpeg