Runny nose, sneezing and now eye is tearing. Help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm happy to hear that Apollo is doing well.  Millie's ears are always dirty and I'm hoping the antibiotic will help that condition.  The vet tested the debris from her ear and said it was not ear mites.  She thought it was a yeast problem.  Good idea about the steam in the bathroom.  Millie stays in the bathroom when I shower in the morning.  The steam can't hurt and surely can help.  Good luck with Apollo.  I have had 4 dogs (sadly, all deceased) and three cats (2 deceased).  All of them were rescues. 

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She thought it was a yeast problem.
She didn't give you anything to treat the ears?  My Lucy had horrible dirty ears when we adopted her.  They found no mites but tested the debris so they would know exactly what meds to give for the ears.  She had to have ear cleaning and drops twice a day for two weeks.  Her ears have been perfect since.  I'm surprised the vet didn't want to treat an ear infection.  I'm no expert, but I don't think oral meds will suffice for that (wish they would have, the ear cleaning routine was quite a trial but I can look back at it and laugh now.)

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She didn't give you anything to treat the ears?  My Lucy had horrible dirty ears when we adopted her.  They found no mites but tested the debris so they would know exactly what meds to give for the ears.  She had to have ear cleaning and drops twice a day for two weeks.  Her ears have been perfect since.  I'm surprised the vet didn't want to treat an ear infection.  I'm no expert, but I don't think oral meds will suffice for that (wish they would have, the ear cleaning routine was quite a trial but I can look back at it and laugh now.)
I too am surprised nothing was given to actually treat the ears. Starbuck had a nasty ear infection and a URI when she was 6 weeks old.  They thought she might have ear mites but were not sure.  The ear infection was causing her too much pain at the time to try to figure out if the debris was actually ear mites.  The vet decided to treat it as though she also had ear mites.  She was on oral antibiotics, an ear wash and medicated ear drops.  I agree with the ear cleaning routine being a trail.  It took 2 of us to hold down a tiny 6 week old kitten who was screaming her head off 2x a day for 2 weeks.  Starbuck's ear and cold issues were gone by the time she finished her meds.

Thank you.  Apollo is doing well. He hates his ear drops and will be glad he is done with them tomorrow.  He has bad medicine head right now.  It looks like someone spilled baby oil on his head.  He finished the meds for his cold yesterday.  He was fine with the liquid meds for the cold but getting the drops in his ears is not nearly as easy.  The drops are oil based and he likes to shake his head right when you go to put the drops in his ears.  He got his ear drops in my mouth this morning,  They do not taste good,

Last edited:

renie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, the debris in Millie's ears is not an infection and I do have ear wash which I use periodically to clean them out.  She does not scratch her ears so it does not seem to bother her.  On another note, the L-lysine arrived today so I'll start her on it.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure a yeast problem is a type of ear infection.  I'd ask again if she doesn't need some meds for it next time you are in.  I hope the lysine helps her stay healthy....and glad to hear she's been doing better. 

renie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I will ask next time I speak to her.