Runny eyes and diarrhea?

mitsismoke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I adopted two kittens (now almost 6 months old - 4 when I got them). When they first got here, they were having loose stool / diarrhea which their vet told me was due to the pain medication post-neuter. I took them to the vet about 2 weeks in to make sure it wasn’t a parasite - they tested negative on the fecal test and were given probiotics. They did both, however, have ear infections. Theo’s wasn’t too bad, but Ollie had a lot of build-up in his ear.
I gave them both the drops and upon re-check, only Ollie had a bit left. They told me to only give him the drops for a while longer. I ran out of the drops soon after but have been looking in his ears and they seem improved, also don’t smell anymore. I meant to bring him back again but I’m a college student and the rates for a simple appointment are ridiculous.
Now, Ollie is still having soft stool (though it’s hard to monitor) and I noticed tonight that his eyes have some discharge. It’s clear and was like a string under his eye, but overall his eyes don’t look very watery to me. I’ve been giving them both a store-bought probiotic to help with the diarrhea and am in the process of changing their food to the sensitive royal canin kitten one. I’m a bit worried about Ollie’s eyes, though. Is this normal discharge or something that warrants another vet trip? I’m gonna take him regardless because I wanna make sure his ears have healed, but does anyone have a suggestion?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is most likely Feline Herpes virus, VERY common in kittens and younger cats. It is not contagious to humans and can make them lethargic, have diarrhea, discharge in the eyes, etc., like a kitty cold. The vet can give you an eye antibiotic ointment to help with the infection if it turns bacterial, with colored discharge and swollen membranes. You could start wiping his eyes with bits of cloth dipped in warm water to get him used to you messing with his eyes. To apply ointment you gently pull down on his lower lid till it forms a pouch and put a thin ribbon of ointment in the pouch. They get used to you messing with their eyes in time. I wouldn't bring him in as a separate trip, just have them check when you normally bring him in, unless he gets a lot worse quickly or starts hiding. Keep him warm, a heated cat pad would be wonderful, and maybe take him into the bathroom when you shower to get him some humidity or run a humidifier. It can take up to three weeks to run it's course, just like a cold. Make sure he eats. All the luck, bless you for giving them a home!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If it is Feline Herpes, which, as noted above, is very common, you can also give him, or them, L-Lysine. It isn't proven to work, but many people swear by it. Most people give 250 mg twice a day, and during a flare up, double that dosage. You can buy it in treat form, or powder form to mix in their food.