running and hiding

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone knows what makes a cat run and hide from some people, and feel perfectly comfortable around others. Sometimes when I have company at my apartment (I live there alone with Monty and Bootsie) my kitties will come right up to the guests and demand petting and play time. But, with some guests they will run into the bedroom and sit way in the back in the dark and just lurk there watching through the doorway..

It doesn't seem to be a male/female thing, but I have noticed that two of the people they regularly hide from have a cat and another has a dog. Could it be that they smell their pets, or is it something else altogether? Does anyone have any ideas on getting cats to warm up to company?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be the smells, or they associate them with something that happened to them at one point.
Maybe not something that happened to both, as the other cat would take cues from the one first reacting.
Could even be the sounds of their voices.
It simply could be that these people put off vibes that the cats do not like, doesn't mean they are bad people.

I honestly would let them be and not try to get them to warm up to them, perhaps one day they will on their own.
Trying to get them to warm up though may simply stress them and cause them to associate these people with negative things.

Growing up, we had a Siamese, she was a very friendly cat, but she took quite awhile to warm up to some people.
It took her 10 years before she'd allow my mother's best friend to even pet her.

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Both of mine run and hide when Hubby comes in the room. But just as soon as he leaves, they will come out. They have always done this. Don't know why. He wears boots most of the time, and something about those boots. As soon as he takes the boots off, they are alot less leary of him. Also, when it gets dark outside and all the lights are off in the house, they will come to him, but he has to lure them in with treats. Any other ideas on this??

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furbum

I was wondering if anyone knows what makes a cat run and hide from some people, and feel perfectly comfortable around others. Sometimes when I have company at my apartment (I live there alone with Monty and Bootsie) my kitties will come right up to the guests and demand petting and play time. But, with some guests they will run into the bedroom and sit way in the back in the dark and just lurk there watching through the doorway..

It doesn't seem to be a male/female thing, but I have noticed that two of the people they regularly hide from have a cat and another has a dog. Could it be that they smell their pets, or is it something else altogether? Does anyone have any ideas on getting cats to warm up to company?
Cats are like people. Sometimes you see someone and you can't stand them from first glance or from the time they open their mouth. Etiquette tells us humans to be polite and endure and tolerate. Cats on the other hand tell it plainly. If they don't like you they don't go near you. At least they're honest about it, LOL

kittyknowsbest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been reading this cat book recently, called 'what is my cat thinking'. And it mentions how cats dont like to be stared at, even with people they know. They might close they're eyes, turn away or at worst run away. It says 'although they get used to our eye contact when they live with us, a full on stare can make them feel uneasy and they will usually turn their faces away to relieve the tension...if they feel uncomfortable but not threatened enough to run away, closing their eyes lets them think that 'if i cant see you, you can't see me' ! lol
Anyway, hope that maybe helps. Dont let your visitors stare at the kitties!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies.

With the guest that was here most recently I had thought it might be the shoes as well so I had him take them off and we placed them at the other end of the room close to the bedroom. The kitties came out to sniff the shoes and then Monty put his whole head in one, grabbed it with his front claws, and raked with the back claws, so I took the shoes away and put them by the door. But even without shoes, my kitties stayed away unless he was offering treats.

I had also thought it might be his voice which was really deep. But, my kitties also fear my aunt and uncle whose voices are not deep and who are some of the nicest cat people I know. I don't understand why they just wouldn't like them off the bat.

I don't think that these guests stared at them although it certainly is possible and I will keep that in mind. But, my boyfriend stares at them and they adore him.

I do think it is Monty who decides whether to run and hide or to stick around (he's alpha) and Bootsie just follows cue.