Runaway Cat

thebugsmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi, I'm at a loss. Our indoor only cat bolted a week ago as hasn't come back yet. She came to us as a feral kitten with her sister. They were living in our car engine. They haven't been outside of our house for over a year, except when we took them to be spayed and chipped. Her sister is perfectly content living inside, even though she is still shy and hides most of the time. This cat though is always trying to escape, this is her fourth successful escape. The other three times she came back within a few hours, just stuck on the roof, she would mew at the window to be let back in. Last Thursday as we were going out we opened the door and she purposefully ran as fast as she could out. We've spotted her a few times, under our porch and in the bushes in our yard she runs away when we see her. It's very strange because she is so nice inside, begging for attention, likes getting brushed, sleeps on our bed, sits on us. Now she acts feral outside even though we brought her in at just a few weeks old. We've tried calling her, trapping her... nothing is working. She's stressed and I'm extra worried because we're moving in a few weeks (so boxes everywhere) and we have a new baby, almost 4 months old. So lots of changes for her. We also have 3 feral cats we take care of so I don't think she will pass them to get to our front door. Any suggestions?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The boxes and such are probably the reason that she bolted. Cats react to ANY changes in their environment. As for catching her...can you contact a rescue/TNR group in your area to borrow traps? That would be the surest way to get her back in.

I'm going to give you the links for some articles on cats and stress, and one on moving with a cat. I hope that one of the will help!

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way

Before you move, if you can, take an old sheet and lay it down where both cats will shed all over it. Just before the move, cut it into squares and place them in a plastic bag. When you get to the new home, place a square in each room of the house. That way, where ever your cats go, they smell themselves, and feel more at home. It kinda "pre-marks" new territory for them so that they don't feel so adrift.

Best of luck, let me know how this goes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thebugsmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! The sheet idea is a really good one! Im planning on moving them into our new master bathroom for the first week, its the most quiet and out of the way spot. I'm going to put all their stuff in there and shutting the door.

I've been using my traps for the last three days. I just keep trapping one of our Ferals over and over again. lol I'm really hoping she gets hungry enough to give in soon. She usually eats a lot and it's been a full week since she's eaten now.

thebugsmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well she came back at exactly to the hour 1 week later. She was under the deck, just like we thought. I went over, popped a can and she stretched her way over to me very nonchalantly I treated her for fleas, and quarantined her into the bathroom with fresh food and water. I've never seen a cat eat so fast.

thebugsmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks me too! Really hoping she learned her lesson this time!

thebugsmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Me too! I finally was able to go to sleep without guilt last night! And her sister stopped crying!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The things I hate most about TCS are reading about lost, critically ill or deceased cats and kittens.
The things I love most about TCS are reading about found or recovered or rescued cats and kittens.
Thank you for pulling the balance of my day into the light!