Rude Neighbors

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i'm afraid i havnt been very clear.

The dog no longer barks excessivly. When we had just moved into this place after living on an island with no neighbors. The dog barked a ton when geting used to this place, the people, the cars, everything he hadnt seen before, having no neighbors.

He no longer sits outside and barks. He barks when the stray (which belongs to someone down the road) wanders through the yard, or when he gets stuck under a table. Both of which times, i unhook him from the table, and chase away the dog. other than that he is a great dog, just lays out basking in the sun.

I understand a dog barking is annoying, i grew up with one that wouldnt stop. But this dog doesnt bark much anymore, as the person who wrote the note admitted. I cant figure out what set this person off. was it the one time in the last month that while we were dealing with a crying 2 year old toddler in the house and we couldnt react immediately to the dog on a saturday morning? Im certainly not going to make my dog hold it until 9 if he has to go out. thats just cruel.

I just think it was cowardly to not even put a contact down, what if i wanted to appologise? i coudlnt even i wanted to. I think its a way to force intimidation, on someone that doesnt know who you are.

I certainly dont mean to be getting agressive, i hope im not coming off that way. i just dont feel the need to appologise to someone who just has a stick up their bum

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

I find myself agreeing with your neighbors.

Perhaps the wording of the note could have been better, but it was still overall in the polite range.

Nobody likes a dog that barks all the time. It can drive you mad.

There are elctronic devices available that emit high pitched sound whenever the dog barks. They're supposed to curb the barking habit. Maybe you can look into getting one of those.
I agree with this statement. I have been the recipient of a constant barking dog that was a neighbors and it is very annoying. I remember working graveyard shift and trying to sleep during the day as a neighbors dog barked non stop all day long and it drove me crazy! I remember going into work many times with little or no sleep because of that dog.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by save_adopt

The dog no longer barks excessivly. When we had just moved into this place after living on an island with no neighbors. The dog barked a ton when geting used to this place, the people, the cars, everything he hadnt seen before, having no neighbors.

He no longer sits outside and barks. He barks when the stray (which belongs to someone down the road) wanders through the yard, or when he gets stuck under a table. Both of which times, i unhook him from the table, and chase away the dog. other than that he is a great dog, just lays out basking in the sun.

I understand a dog barking is annoying, i grew up with one that wouldnt stop. But this dog doesnt bark much anymore, as the person who wrote the note admitted. I cant figure out what set this person off. was it the one time in the last month that while we were dealing with a crying 2 year old toddler in the house and we couldnt react immediately to the dog on a saturday morning? Im certainly not going to make my dog hold it until 9 if he has to go out. thats just cruel.

I just think it was cowardly to not even put a contact down, what if i wanted to appologise? i coudlnt even i wanted to. I think its a way to force intimidation, on someone that doesnt know who you are.

I certainly dont mean to be getting agressive, i hope im not coming off that way. i just dont feel the need to appologise to someone who just has a stick up their bum
That one weekend morning may have been the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. As for your dog holding it until 9, I certainly didn't mean that you should do that because that would be cruel - take him out for a walk to do his business then bring him in until a little later in the morning.

Since you do know who they are (from the paper they used), I would go around and talk to them to try to set things right.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by save_adopt

The dog no longer barks excessivly.
Oh! Yeah, I didn't understand that he no longer barks excessively. If that is the case I understand your annoyance. I would be annoyed too. I would just ignore the note. What else can you do? Like someone else said maybe the note was the result of an accumulation of past events.

I urge you to be sure that his barking really isn't excessive. If your neighbors continue to think it is they may take matters into their own hands and your dog may suffer for it. Your neighbors note said that the barking had gotten "a little" better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Since you do know who they are (from the paper they used), I would go around and talk to them to try to set things right.
Turns out the company isnt anyone around here, its up north, i didnt know cuz im from out of state.

We are ceratinly keeping an extra eye on him so he doesnt get hurt because of someonegetting mad

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a Cesar Milan tip (The Dog Whisperer) about barking:
http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/tips/issues_barking.php
I know that my dog Sugar barks alot at my husband when he gets home but not at me. And she will eat the outside cat's food if DH is the one outside, but hasn't done it with me around. She pulls on the leash if he's holding it, cuts in front of him, etc. but with me, she's as pretty and proud as a show horse, which indicates that if only I could get him to watch the Dog Whisperer dvd that I bought ....

I'd definitely focus on addressing your dog issues and try your best to go easy about the neighbor's note. Otherwise, you might unconsciously think about how angered you were by the note every time your dog barks and off will go your "calm, assertive pack-leader state". And your dog will definitely sense it...
Bless you for not giving up on your pup, and extra big hugs for objecting to the shock collar