Rude Awakening!!

vettechstudent

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was planning on sleeping in this morning since my mom kept my son all night last night.Well,I was sleeping soundly in the bed this morning when around 8 a.m. I woke up to a horrible flapping sound right behind my head at the window and also heard what sounded like a herd of cattle(cats.LOL.)running into my room.About the time I opened my eyes Mike was running in the room and I looked up to see a blackbird flying around my head.
It was trying to get out the window and kept hitting the window and was almost falling down on my head.I was shrieking to Mike to get it away so I could get out of the bed.I kept covering my head up cause I just knew it was gonna poo on me.LOL.I was finally able to get up and open the french doors in the bedroom and Mike shooed it out.
It must have came down from the chimney in the den on the other side of the house.I told Mike he needs to shut the darn thing before more decided to come in.
Well,about 30 minutes later before he shut it we heard flapping AGAIN in the den this time.Yep ANOTHER blackbird.I don't know if it was the same one or not but it landed on the chandelier in the den and all the cats were going NUTS.It flew down into a corner in the den and decided it wasn't going to move.I was NOT about to touch it and you ought to have seen me trying to keep all my cats off of it and screaming for Mike to get his butt in there and get it out.He comes in there and scoops it up and puts it outside.Then all the cats had to investigate the spot where it was sitting.LOL.
So I had a very interesting morning and needless to say I was WAY too awake to go back to sleep.

I hate that dang fireplace because this is not the first time these birds have gotten in.Some of them we have been able to get out,but some have not fared so well because the cats got to them before we could.

Hope you all had a better morning than I did.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Secure some chicken wire over the top of the chimney. That'll let the smoke out and keep critters out.

As for your avian antics - there's never anyone around, with a video camera, when you need one!

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my , what a awakening for you
. I am sure the cats had a lot of fun with the 2 birds
. I am still laughing about it
. For sure you all had your work out this morning

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I CAN RELATE TO THAT!!
When I was living at home about 8 yrs ago, I lived in the basement. My bedroom had 2 "wells" windows and often Sammy, my cat (now parents' cat) would jump down in the window well and stare at me.

One morning I woke up early, drew up the blinds and saw Sammy. He was batting something around in the window well so I opened the window to see. When I did, I realized that he had caught a pigeon and was playing with it. Of course, I started screaming my head off and trying to keep Sammy away from the poor pigeon. My parents came running down to see what I was screaming all about and the minute they saw what was going on, Dad took off running to go outside to try to get Sammy out and save the pigeon from outside. By then, pigeon's feathers were flying every where with blood. Finally, we were able to rescue the pigeon from Sammy. Surprisely enough, the bird had 2 puncture holes in its' chest but no other wounds. Mom LOVES birds so she went and got a birdcage from the garage to keep this pigeon in until it recovered. I told mom that that bird won't live cuz of the puncture holes tot he chest- there were no blood coming out so I knew it meant it was bleeding inside but mom refused to listen.
After 2 days, she found the pigeon dead in the cage.

So I can understand what it's like waking up and dealing with cats / birds!!!

Glad to hear the birds got out okay this time!
Grin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vettechstudent

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by katl8e
Secure some chicken wire over the top of the chimney. That'll let the smoke out and keep critters out.

As for your avian antics - there's never anyone around, with a video camera, when you need one!
Yeah the chicken wire would work,but getting someone to put it up there is another thing.LOL.I am just going to keep the flu(is that what it's called?LOL.)shut and open it back up if we use it,because we don't use it that much anyway.

Yeah I'd say people would have got a kick out of seeing me in the bed this morning covering my head up with the covers screaming at Mike to do something and cats ALL over the place just waiting for the bird to make just ONE wrong move.LOL.

Oh my , what a awakening for you . I am sure the cats had a lot of fun with the 2 birds . I am still laughing about it . For sure you all had your work out this morning
Yeah I'm sure the cats just LOVED chasing the birds all over the house this morning,I for one however didn't enjoy it too much.LOL.

So I can understand what it's like waking up and dealing with cats / birds!!!
I'm glad I'm not the only one.LOL.

At least your mom tried to save the poor pigeon.

I am not too much of a blackbird lover(which is what these were and always have been),BUT I really don't want to have bird remains all over my house and I DO NOT like the sounds they make when the cats get ahold of them either.I woke up to this one morning last year.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG what an adrenaline rush that must have been - more potent than any cup of coffee!! You could try calling some chimney cleaning places to see if they can put some screening material on your chimney. Worth a try anyway.