Ruby's new friend, Friday

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This guy is not the original Friday we had decided on. The original was a Blue & Gold macaw. When we finally met him he didn't really like me or Teri, so we picked the Hyacinth macaw instead.
He loves everyone and just wants to be held. He's very gentle with that powerful beak.
Friday visited our vet clinic for the entire morning on Wednesday to have his metal leg band removed. None of the staff got much work done as they were constantly carrying him around the place, petting him.

He and Ruby are fast friends already. The hyacinth is the biggest of the macaws. You can see the size difference between the two and he is 2 months younger at 7 months of age. The flash kind of washed out his true color. He's a dark cobalt blue.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! He is gorgeous!
Amazing coloring on both of them. One question, why remove the metal band? I've never owned birds so I don't know too much about their care.

Are they housed anywhere near the Bengals? I can't wrap my mind around my two boys leaving them alone at all! Takoda becomes so predator like whenever he catches sight of a squirrel on the fence let alone what birds do to him. Having one that size just might send him over the top.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, he is GORGEOUS!

I'll look forward to meeting (and getting to hold) him on my next visit to your place!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A hyacinth macaw!
I think they are the most beautiful of the macaw family.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

Wow! He is gorgeous!
Amazing coloring on both of them. One question, why remove the metal band? I've never owned birds so I don't know too much about their care.

Are they housed anywhere near the Bengals? I can't wrap my mind around my two boys leaving them alone at all! Takoda becomes so predator like whenever he catches sight of a squirrel on the fence let alone what birds do to him. Having one that size just might send him over the top.
Thanks Eva. The band needed to be removed because it was bothering him. He was constantly biting it and basically obsessed with it. If you look closely at the last 2 photos, his left leg is missing some feathers at the bottom where the band was. The band was too heavy and thick, it was clearly causing him distress.
The bengals are around the birds 24/7. They do not view them as prey, because the birds are as large as they are. They are curious but very nervous of those beaks and seem to clearly aware of the pain and damage that could be inflicted. I would not risk a small bird around them, but these guys are very intimidating and the bengals are not even hinting at stalking them. Even so we don't leave the birds out of their cages unattended, however I am more concerned about one of the birds injuring a bengal rather than vice-versa.

Originally Posted by GingersMom

Oh, he is GORGEOUS!

I'll look forward to meeting (and getting to hold) him on my next visit to your place!
Thanks Betsy. Yes, this guy will let you love all over him with no protest. In fact he often refuses to get back on his perch off our arms. He is proof positive that these macaws are the "gentle giants" of the parrot world.