Ruby the Feral?

BarbCatLover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ruby showed up in our backyard about 2-3 months ago. It was cold, snowy so I started feeding her. She has stayed around since, which I am 100% okay with. Over the last month, I changed her feeding location to our front porch. And, within the last 2-3 weeks, she sits on the bench with me and snuggles. I spend as much time with her as possible. Her left ear is tipped (thought right meant fixed) and she appears healthy. I started opening my front door and she comes in a few times a day and just wanders around playing with toys, etc. If there are sudden movements or loud noises, she runs outside. Last night I tried to shut the front door and she got out through our slider and went into the enclosed porch I have. She was scared and started running into the screen to find a way out. We did get her out and I thought she's gone but this morning she is snuggled up on her bench. She appears young maybe 18 months old. So what is she that she doesn't want to be inside all the time yet snuggles with me. She doesn't sound feral so I don't know! So behavior last night indicates to me feral behavior, but I cannot explain the cuddling and the desire to be with me all the time. What am I to her other than a food source and yes, I worry about her being outside at night but I'm not going to lock her in somewhere or she will freak. I have a handy man coming over tomorrow to see what I could build for her, but she clearly does not want to be closed in something where she cannot escape. What should I build? What is she? This is driving me nuts because I don't know what to do with her.

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think she might be a feral, who is simply more used to the presence of humans, or a cat who became a stray at a really young age.
Awww if she wants snuggles that means she likes you, but I think that she will freak out over closed spaces for a while. My girl used to bolt for the smallest thing if I simply sit up too suddenly she was out of the house. But now she is completely tame and confident, same goes for my other previously feral/stray girl.
I think that you could set up some warm enclosed safe place outside for her, that she can use at night, it doesn't have to be anything big, we had this really old small closet, we set it up outside and left some blankets in it, and they loved it. Also if she comes inside just make sure that the door is not closed and she can get out, but eventually she will be more confident inside, you just need to be patient with her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BarbCatLover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I so appreciate the response. I would agree and believe that with time she will come around. I was reading some of the other similar posts and some have worked with a friend for a year or more so I feel rather fortunate. She is snuggling with me only after a month or less. I am nothing if patient so she will continue to be my snuggly porch friend until she lets me know she is ready for something else!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have just brought in two feral sisters who I TNRed two summers ago. They are almost 2 years old right now (born under my neighbor's house so I am quite sure of their age). It was a long road of gaining their confidence enough to bring them inside. One came in at first on her terms but always insisted on going back out. The other one never came in but was affectionate and friendly outside. I am leaving out huge parts of this story because it is not relevant, but over time we increased the time that the braver one stayed inside. She was okay with being inside for about 5 hours and then wanted out in the middle of the night. When I left her inside once when I went shopping she was clearly afraid and hid behind a dresser BUT as time went on we kept at it as both clearly showed affection to myself and my husband. About 4 weeks ago during a big rainstorm the first one came in as she was now accustomed to doing and I quickly grabbed the sister and brought her in and shut the door to the usual freaking out and crying. Since they were together I did not relent, especially since my husband did not want them to go back outside, and both have settled in. It did take two years of work, but your girl sounds as if she is much closer to deciding that she might want to be inside permanently.

BarbCatLover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so overwhelmed with the stories here! I love all this compassion especially when it is so greatly needed right now. I know she will come around. When she looks at me from my lap, I feel so much love for her. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am so glad to hear that your two friends are with you now and safe and happy. Her terms are okay with me! I will not give up on her ever!!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I'll write more tomorrow when I'm on my desktop, but for now want to say thanks for caring for Ruby. The tipped ear means she (are you sure she's a girl) was TNRed so you don't have to worry about kittens. She sounds adorable and I think will be a perfect pet in time. Will write more tomorrow. BTW, I have a Ruby too, but she's an orange tabby. :lovecat2:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello again BarbCatLover BarbCatLover !!! :wave2: I'm on my desktop now, so I can type so much more quickly than on my tablet.

So, again, welcome! And thanks for feeding your Ruby. :hearthrob:

The ear tip definitely means she was vetted and neutered/spayed. I think some vets might clip one ear or the other depending on gender, but not sure. Oh... are you positive the ear tip is from a TNR? Maybe you can post a pic? Sometimes a feral can have an injury to their ear, which makes it look as though it's clipped. Hopefully that isn't the case with your Ruby.

The fact that Ruby is both a) sitting next to you on the bench, and b) going inside your home, make the actual "trapping" easy. You will just have to close your front door. And, yes, she will likely freak. So the best scenario, if you can, is to have a spare room where you can enclose her when you first bring her inside. Since she willingly comes in the house, you could probably lure her to the spare room with treats.

You want the room to be cat proofed, and not have anywhere she can hide or injure herself. So if possible, if there's a bed in the room, take the mattress off the frame, so she can't hide under it. Also, remove any curtains or blinds. Make sure there's somewhere for her to feel safe, maybe a basket, or box, etc.

TCS has several threads on bringing ferals inside. Probably the longest thread would be the one by Jcatbird Jcatbird . She has socialized over 100 cats, so know most ferals can adjust to living inside. One of hers in particular, BJ, became a favourite of those of us who follow her thread. The night she brought him inside she "joked" that she thought he wanted to eat her! You should see that snugglebug now! Here's a link to the post in her thread where he came inside: BJ came inside

TCS has several articles on bringing ferals inside. I'll post the links.

A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference – Cat Articles
Handling Feral Cats – Cat Articles
Should You Try And Tame A Feral Cat? – Cat Articles
Adopting A Stray Cat | TheCatSite
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside | TheCatSite
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door | TheCatSite

Good luck. Keep us posted on Ruby. :hearthrob:

Oh, you don't have any other pets, right?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’re doing great with her. I was under a time pressure here and brought the kitties in as quickly as possible because each moment outside was a risk to their lives. Like you, I worried about them freaking out. Some were scared and for that reason , plus needing to isolate each one until they had vet checks, I put them in my bathroom after cat priggish it. I put a carrier inside with a blanket so they would automatically hide there. That became their safe haven for life which is a big plus. Anytime they ever get scared in their lifetime, they have a home of their own to retreats to where they feel safe. Vet visits are much easier for them because of that. There is a process to go through to help her adapt and become a happy indoor kitty who will be safe from outside predators, disease, cars and other humans. All of the cats I rescued did socialize. I can pet and pick up every cat. All but a couple became complete lap cats. The couple that didn’t are still very loving and content inside. They are very bonded with their colony members. These rescued kitties are completely devoted and wonderful fur babies! Being outside is a very scary thing. The cats spend their entire lives being on guard for threats and searching for ways to survive. This cat has chosen you as family. She trusts you. That’s pretty awesome! Although there are catios that can be built for her, it’s safer for her if you can make her an indoor kitty. One risk of being outside that is rarely mentioned is heart worms. People associate that with dogs but the above mentioned sweet boy that I joked about “ eating me.” Did have heart worms when I brought him in. It only takes one mosquito bite. BJ is heartworm free now ! Yay! I just wish I had gotten him inside earlier. He also got FIV. He is the only one that caught this but he was outside longer than the others. He should still live a great life though. Inside care should provide him with a normal life expectancy now. I’ll show you a bit of his transition.

Giving me “the look!” He wasn’t sure about being shut in.
8D389113-AFAD-40EE-A064-A3D13B3F7CFE.jpeg

Hiding.
5D4F7851-E02E-4052-B9D9-79BE2BF6B65E.jpeg

Reassuring him that all was well by sitting on the floor and letting him come to me.
DC5F82D1-79B9-43F0-8EC1-9F6D77CB2415.jpeg

Getting comfortable as a TLC kitty.
9949387B-2463-4B1B-B7C5-24EE30EA0756.jpeg

Taking over and sleeping under the covers with Mom now. Lol
77EFC14B-DF6A-4A05-B862-54FB3381BE66.jpeg

He was neutered and as a feral got his ear tipped. I had it done in case he managed to get out but he actually won’t go outside now. He doesn’t even want me to go outside. Lol He is very protective of me. He pats the window with his paw until I come back in.
However you decide to handle things with this kitty, bravo! You are saving her. You’re a kitty hero. Thank you!

BarbCatLover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think she might be a feral, who is simply more used to the presence of humans, or a cat who became a stray at a really young age.
Awww if she wants snuggles that means she likes you, but I think that she will freak out over closed spaces for a while. My girl used to bolt for the smallest thing if I simply sit up too suddenly she was out of the house. But now she is completely tame and confident, same goes for my other previously feral/stray girl.
I think that you could set up some warm enclosed safe place outside for her, that she can use at night, it doesn't have to be anything big, we had this really old small closet, we set it up outside and left some blankets in it, and they loved it. Also if she comes inside just make sure that the door is not closed and she can get out, but eventually she will be more confident inside, you just need to be patient with her.
I wanted to send a few replies to those that answered my post. Thank you so much for the information. We did find out that she does not like to be in enclosed places and I think that has to do with escape routes. I tried opening the window to my office so she could come in and she wanted nothing to do with it. I do open our front door and she comes in and sits in the foyer, but like you, noise happens and she's out the door again! So when one says "eventually", is there a time you could use? I have two other cats so I cannot leave the front door open for extended periods of time unless I lock up my other cats. She is quite content being outside and she has a very comfortable space on our porch that she calls home. In fact, today another cat came around today (it's someone's pet), and Ruby was unimpressed. She basically ignored the other cat. I am just having a hard time finding ways to get her inside that does not involve keeping my front door open too much.

BarbCatLover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have just brought in two feral sisters who I TNRed two summers ago. They are almost 2 years old right now (born under my neighbor's house so I am quite sure of their age). It was a long road of gaining their confidence enough to bring them inside. One came in at first on her terms but always insisted on going back out. The other one never came in but was affectionate and friendly outside. I am leaving out huge parts of this story because it is not relevant, but over time we increased the time that the braver one stayed inside. She was okay with being inside for about 5 hours and then wanted out in the middle of the night. When I left her inside once when I went shopping she was clearly afraid and hid behind a dresser BUT as time went on we kept at it as both clearly showed affection to myself and my husband. About 4 weeks ago during a big rainstorm the first one came in as she was now accustomed to doing and I quickly grabbed the sister and brought her in and shut the door to the usual freaking out and crying. Since they were together I did not relent, especially since my husband did not want them to go back outside, and both have settled in. It did take two years of work, but your girl sounds as if she is much closer to deciding that she might want to be inside permanently.
Thank you for this information. I am so glad to hear that your two friends are safe and comfortable with you now. Ruby will come in the front door, sit on the foyer, then decide she's had enough and go back outside. It's hard for me to leave our front door open because I have two other cats and today I tried to open my office window which is near her safe place, the front porch. I could not get her inside. Patience I know is key but are there other ways to get her inside for longer?

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to send a few replies to those that answered my post. Thank you so much for the information. We did find out that she does not like to be in enclosed places and I think that has to do with escape routes. I tried opening the window to my office so she could come in and she wanted nothing to do with it. I do open our front door and she comes in and sits in the foyer, but like you, noise happens and she's out the door again! So when one says "eventually", is there a time you could use? I have two other cats so I cannot leave the front door open for extended periods of time unless I lock up my other cats. She is quite content being outside and she has a very comfortable space on our porch that she calls home. In fact, today another cat came around today (it's someone's pet), and Ruby was unimpressed. She basically ignored the other cat. I am just having a hard time finding ways to get her inside that does not involve keeping my front door open too much.
Sorry I can't say how long it will take for sure, because our situations are different. I was not in a hurry to get any of them inside, because my first cat can't be contained so he likes to be outside more than the girls. The first stray Bubbles started eating in our garden/house around late February-March last year and only decided to move inside fully with closed doors around August, but that was because she was very pregnant by that time, and wanted some petting and food.
My other girl Buttercup was only a young cat when I first saw her in our garden, she came to us for food in the entire summer, and she only decided to move inside in early March because of the cold. So for me it took months. But they were scaredy cats for a long time before they let me touch them. So if Ruby already likes you and not just the food, then you may be further along than you think.
All I can say is to let her dictate the steps in her own speed and just keep doing what you are doing because it's working. No rush, and you don't need to have her in the house for hours, while your cats are contained. Just set a shorter amount of time when she can be inside everyday, and eventually she might be okay with staying inside longer with closed doors even.
Also this warmer but not too heated weather is ideal for cats, so she might be perfectly happy outside for a while. One more thing, about your window, she is not used to that escape route, maybe she isn't even aware that she can use it just like the door, so maybe that's why she was not impressed. Here are my previously feral/stray girls, if you really like Ruby, this will be her one day:

Attachments

BarbCatLover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG what great pics! Thank you for sharing those with me. They all look very happy and content :-) I love Ruby more than you could know. Her disposition is absolutely sweet (at least to me). She is now getting used to my husband's voice and doesn't run from him like she used to. I know she will be inside soon; sometimes I just want to push her along but know I cannot. Thanks again and I will keep posting updates on Ruby.

Attachments