Royal Canin??

fnerysx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys. I'm just wondering if Royal Canin is really that bad for cats? I usually get RC Indoor for my kitties and I also buy them cheaper wet food to mix in with at dinner time. Is it so bad for them? Should I continue? And what brands are the best? I'm currently having a look on Pets at Home at James WellBeloved and they have good reviews. Please give me some feedback. I'm from the UK btw

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Royal Canin doesn't have very good quality ingredients. The dry food is mostly corn based with other grains mixed in. Cats are obligate carnivores and have no use for grains. Grains are not digestible and just comes out as super stinky poop. Corn and grains are cheap which is why many pet food companies put it in their products.

Most people here on TCS recommend feeding more canned food than dry food. It's a lot healthier for a cat.

Here are some TCS articles on how to choose food:

Here are threads with suggestions on UK foods:

My kitten doesn't like "posh" expensive wet cat food!
Best Wet Kitten Food: Pouches/ Trays :-)
UK Cat lovers, please advise new mummy
Commercial Wet Kitten Food UK
Best Dry Food Available In The Uk/zooplus
Granatapet Cat Food

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m yet to see the Royal Canin food with decent ingredients, their dry is certainly bad, full of corn, wheat, rice, peas...

As for good European canned food brands, I can recommend the following, available European wide from zooplus: Granata Pet, Grau, Catz Finefood, Feringa, Wild Freedom. The only dry food available in Europe I would be somewhat comfortable feeding if I was forced to is German brand, Power of Nature, but they charge shipping fee (but it’s also available in local pet shops in other European countries):
Btw their canned is excellent too.