Royal Canin vs Nutro

wendyb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering what people's experience with Royal Canin has been in comparison to Nutro. 

I've just brought home a new baby and she's been raised on Royal Canin where as my two are on Nutro.  I've got enough Royal Canin kitten and Nutro kitten to make a slow transition, but I'm curious what people's opnions are.

Thanks!

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I go with Royal Canin too! But for me, it is mostly because Royal Canin is sold at my local pet store and Nutro is not. AND, I went to a cat show in August, and Royal Canin was there and gave me 24 FREE CANS OF FOOD for the ferals! Score! I guess this put them in my good books. :lol3:

bryanv21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd look elsewhere entirely, as the ingredient listing for both is far from ideal (say no to corn). Although the RC canned looks okay outside of the pork by-product.

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd look elsewhere entirely, as the ingredient listing for both is far from ideal (say no to corn). Although the RC canned looks okay outside of the pork by-product.
I second that...

definitely stop feeding corn and all variations of corn.

Next, I'd minimize or eliminate grains.

Blue Buffalo Wilderness has far superior ingredients, and is priced similarly to the 2 brands you mentioned. 

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Royal Canin.  But if other options go with them.  I love Royal Canin for the baby food.  The wet and dry has made the difference in past kittens.  I have used the wet in a syringe for liittle babies with great results. 

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering what people's experience with Royal Canin has been in comparison to Nutro. 

I've just brought home a new baby and she's been raised on Royal Canin where as my two are on Nutro.  I've got enough Royal Canin kitten and Nutro kitten to make a slow transition, but I'm curious what people's opnions are.

Thanks!
Compare the ingredients Wendy and make an informed decision.  Keep in mind that Royal Canin and Nutro are sister companies, both under the Mars umbrella.  That said, Nutro is AFIA certified.  Nutro is the only company that has been able to attain AFIA certification because unlike most of the other brands, Nutro makes all of their own food. Most of the other companies are using copackers and one well known and highly touted brand uses 6-10 of them.   They will never be able to attain AFIA certification.   But you will make the decision that best suits your need and budget.