Royal Canin Urinary SO substitutes?

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello! its been a while since ive posted on the catsite forum! i hope all of you (and your kitties!) have been doing well 😸

so ever since my cats had that whole issue with behavior and consequently urinary issues, the vet recommended i switch my cats to the Royal Canin urinary so brand. so we did, and never dealt with their urinary issues since. since this is a vet prescribed diet, it was more expensive than what we're used to, especially feeding 3 cats. but its much better than to deal with their urinary issues!

today I go to buy another bag, and the price has increased yet another $10 since the last time we bought one!! when we started, it was roughly $120/8kg bag. now its $142/8kg bag (last few bags have been $130) so what the hell- last bag we bought we noticed that they no longer have the resealable thing. was no big deal, but lately we've been noticing the cats puking more.

the 2/3 were actually puking quite a bit i was considering making a vet visit, but wasnt sure why all of the sudden these issues were arising. i go to their website to find out that not only did they change their packaging apparently theyve changed the recipe too!? and so they were recommending to 'transition' your cats to this new stuff mixed in with older stuff.. umm well thanks for the heads up royal canin and my vet! i seen some comments complaining about the same exact things so its no wonder that the cats were having issues as if i changed their food suddenly..

anyways, im reaching out here to see what might be the next best thing to give my cats? for their specific urinary needs? I am in Ontario, Canada so please keep that in mind, since I've looked at sites to order from but many seem to be from the states, and wont ship here. I do realize that my cats were prescribed this food for a reason, but im looking for a brand with quality ingredients and same benefits as this stuff, that might be easier on their system too and just a bit cheaper than having to spend nearly $150 for 8 kgs 😅 thank you all sooo much!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try these threads for suggestions:

For general urinary health, a diet of only canned food will help. Keeping the urine well diluted is key.

What urinary issues do your cats have?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try these threads for suggestions:

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

For general urinary health, a diet of only canned food will help. Keeping the urine well diluted is key.

What urinary issues do your cats have?
awesome thanks!

we havent had issues for about a year now, especially since we've been consistently buying the food. we do give them canned food as well, everyday or other day. but dry food is mainly their diet.. we did both as the vet never mentioned keeping them strictly on that.

it started with the female first 2 years ago, from stress we believe. i caught her straining and brought her in to find out her bladder was horribly inflamed and had a UTI. antibiotics, pain meds, anti-inflammatory and anxiety meds were given. had to keep going in for testing til she was clear.

there was a time where we ended up buying a cheaper bag of food from walmart when money was low, and right shortly after our male was having issues. his bladder was swollen, but no UTI. they gave him meds to open up his urethra and also metacam. further testing showed he cleared up pretty quick- this was about a year ago.